• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harrison's in Australia may soon be no more

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
When I said a pet shop told me that Harrison were working on it, it was Petfood Plus, which is the same company as Petshop Direct. They have an Petfood Plus is their retail store and Petshop Direct is their online shop. I bought my SS cages from them too. Don't know why they don't use the same name for both arms of their business

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Could be a tax thing & maybe its a different business license involved. Who knows what Australian business regulations are.
A retail shop has different overhead than a online shop. Probably a different business license too. So it has to be kept seperate or it makes better business sense to have it seperate.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Could be a tax thing & maybe its a different business license involved. Who knows what Australian business regulations are.
A retail shop has different overhead than a online shop. Probably a different business license too. So it has to be kept seperate or it makes better business sense to have it seperate.
No, it's definitely quarantine restrictions. As you probably know, Australia is crazy strict on what they let in.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Its definitely quarantine issues. I was really just saying the info that @LunaLovebird and I both recieved really came from a single source, as they are one and the same company trading under separate names.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Well they could just do online business in Australia. They sell items not import them so if they sold them they would ship them out of the country. I know they are very concerned what they let in but never could quite understand why they cared what australian products left the country.

I understand Australia trying to protect themselves & I guess its easier as they are the only country that is its own continent protected from all sides by water.

CA won;t allow fruit trees especially citrus from FL or TX to be shipped here. They are concerned that a diseased tree could come in & wipe out the citrus industry. If they test & confirm a diseased citrus tree on your property they will force you to remove it or come & remove it.
The tree will die & the fruit will be inedible. Still the insects could be flying in from Mexico & bringing with them the disease.

The last big bacteria is HLB carried by an insect both originating in asia. It's hit brasil FL TX Mexico & CA turned it up a few years ago they think by someone bringing in a diseased branch & grafting it on a backyard tree. They got that tree but then it infected a few more trees 15 miles away. So far its not hit a commercial citrus farm but there are so many backyard citrus trees & those people need to be vigilant & spray the trees to kill the bug or use systemic deterrent as its the bug that carries the infection from tree to tree.

It affects oranges & limes & tangerines & all citrus. I love citrus & would hate to see it wiped from the earth. :sad4:

Protect citrus trees from HLB threat - The San Diego Union-Tribune