• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harrison's in Australia may soon be no more

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I went to purchase some more pellets today for the birds from the same place I've always got them (pet shop direct), and discovered that their Harrison's was totally out of stock. Looked at another online store, same thing. I thought it was weird, so I called up one of the other exotic vets here that I know stocks them and was told that everyone is sort of in limbo right now because Harrison's isn't sure if they're going to renew their import licence. They too were out of nearly everything.

So Australians who use Harrison's, I suggest stocking up and trying to convert to something else. Mine are both fine with RB, which is fortunate. Others might not be so lucky.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:cry3:

It is a pain getting anything into Australia.

firdy num num

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
I'm an Aussie, and shipping rates are crazy..:(:depressed:

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm an Aussie, and shipping rates are crazy..:(:depressed:
I know. I can sacrifice the money if the product is good enough quality and my birds like it, but something like food is a bit tricky. One because of our crazy quarantine and two because of how frequently it has to be bought.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh no - that's worse than I was told.

Already can't get find it. I was told (by a retailer) that Harrison's had all the paperwork ready for the renewal, but our quarantine requirements changed and that Harrison's were now working on compliance. I hope that's true. Although I've not yet used Harrison's, I am wanting to try it. I am trying to convert my 3 to Roundybush, but only 1 is willing to eat it so far. I think Harrison's is shaped more like the pellet they like, so I had been hoping they'd convert to it more easily. Not happy that I can't even buy it to try.
@LunaLovebird if you hear anything more, can you let us know. Thanks :)

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
sorry but you don;t want to get caught smuggling in food products.
At the least they will toss it but they could fine you or put you on the chain gang building roads!

:fairy2:

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
sorry but you don;t want to get caught smuggling in food products.
At the least they will toss it but they could fine you or put you on the chain gang building roads!

:fairy2:
In my experience they just destroy it if there is no other option. Pellets are probably alright, but I'm not sure. The general rule of thumb is if it's commercially packaged and not fresh vege, meat or dairy, you're probably okay. I know that commercial honey and loose leaf tea is okay, so pellets ought to be as well. Still, the shipping costs make it some what prohibitive.

Oh no - that's worse than I was told.

Already can't get find it. I was told (by a retailer) that Harrison's had all the paperwork ready for the renewal, but our quarantine requirements changed and that Harrison's were now working on compliance. I hope that's true. Although I've not yet used Harrison's, I am wanting to try it. I am trying to convert my 3 to Roundybush, but only 1 is willing to eat it so far. I think Harrison's is shaped more like the pellet they like, so I had been hoping they'd convert to it more easily. Not happy that I can't even buy it to try.
@LunaLovebird if you hear anything more, can you let us know. Thanks :)
I will! I was unable to find any in almost any size when I posted this. The vet I called had some of the large sizes but that's it. I do hope it's just a matter of working on compliance and that they start shipping it back in soon!

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Customs can fine you. I, in my ignorance, ordered an unallowed item (Featheriffic) and I got a warning letter from customs. They disposed of it and included a warning that fines can apply if I try the same thing again. So I think they give you chances, but if they see a pattern, you may cop a fine.

It's annoying that 2 of mine won't try the Roundybush. Silly duffers eat Roundybush ground to powder, mixed with puréed veggies & spoon fed to them (they have this daily) but they won't touch it in pellet form.

If I manage to find Harrison's, which is the best size for Sun Conure / Hahns Macaw sized birds?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I took Bushells tea out of Australia last time I went as I really like it & there was no problem with that.

Reminds me maybe I will try to get some more of that!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I've only seen the Harrisons super potency fine & its very small. Rio did not like it every much. He hates the Roudybush & I'm not fond of it as the ingredients seem to be mostly corn.

I guess I'd order coarse for the bigger birds unless they like small pieces as fine is about 1/8 in

Product/Species Feeding Chart | Harrison's Bird Foods

Last edited:
Reactions: TWR

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I took Bushells tea out of Australia last time I went as I really like it & there was no problem with that.

Reminds me maybe I will try to get some more of that!
I highly recommend Madura tea as well. I like Bushells as well, but I would buy Madura over it.
Customs can fine you. I, in my ignorance, ordered an unallowed item (Featheriffic) and I got a warning letter from customs. They disposed of it and included a warning that fines can apply if I try the same thing again. So I think they give you chances, but if they see a pattern, you may cop a fine.

It's annoying that 2 of mine won't try the Roundybush. Silly duffers eat Roundybush ground to powder, mixed with puréed veggies & spoon fed to them (they have this daily) but they won't touch it in pellet form.

If I manage to find Harrison's, which is the best size for Sun Conure / Hahns Macaw sized birds?
I don't know, but maybe the course size? Particularly if they're fond of picking up food with their feet.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Never tried Madura. Not a big tea drinker but really liked the bushells when I tried it but not had it in 10 years & in fact I still have some but
13 yo tea bags probably have lost some pizzazz.

Been sort of wanting to try Japenese green tea...gyoko & matcha. Supposed to be high in antioxidants.

I could order teas from Australia but the $13 shipping seems to make it too $$$ & tea is not heavy.

Amazon.com : Bushells Blue label Tea 50 bags : Grocery Tea Sampler : Grocery & Gourmet Food

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I sent a query direct via the Harrison's website to ask them if they can clarify the situation. If I get a response, I'll share it here.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
@LunaLovebird

Great news / I received the following reply from Harrison's

"Thank you for contacting Harrison’s.

We appreciate you taking time to write us and we greatly appreciate your business.

Our apologies for any inconvenience this has caused you.

Over the last few years the government and customs division in Australia have made it increasingly difficult to import products into the country. We are constantly working with them to prevent delays in delivery and will continue to do so in the future.

An order is currently being processed for shipment.

Please feel free to contact us if you ever have any questions or concerns.
"

Hopefully we are only a few months away from having more Harrison's in Australia.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine

Few months is a long time to wait but guess when it comes in you should buy least 6 months worth.
They say you should keep it in refrigerator.

I tried it but Rio did not eat it.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Few months is a long time to wait but guess when it comes in you should buy least 6 months worth.
They say you should keep it in refrigerator.

I tried it but Rio did not eat it.
I freeze it here. Australian summers are no place for perishables.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
None to be bought near me at all. Hopefully, it will be quicker than we think. Harrison's words were "an order is currently being processed for shipment". They didn't give a time frame. Weeks? Months? I'm hoping it means weeks, but I said a couple of months above as a middle of the road guess.

I freeze my pellets too.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Maybe some good news. Buying some Roudybush just now, I saw one Pet Shop Direct's website that they expect stock in a couple of months, and that Harrison's was working hard to sort out customs issues.

In the mean time, both my birds have been eating more of their dry mix now that there is not Harrison's in it. So, I'm not sure I'll get any more when it does come in except maybe to crush up for birdie bread. I've also found a supplier for Australian grown milk thistle seeds, and have bought some of that plus some hemp, chia and bee pollen to add to their pellets.