• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness training!

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
My aviator harness arrived! My baby grey sometimes LOVES being touched and other times is a NONO! But either way he isn't scared of the harness (since he's a baby it seems as though he's not really scared of anything new? if its something new all he wants to do is chew on it) Anyway, Im getting him used to having his wings lifted up, and I've put the harness next to him several times, he loves to pick it up and chew on it. Should i let him chew on it or should i discourage it? and how can i discourage it? Tonight he did AMAZING with letting me pick up his wings! (and he let me give scritches as a reward instead of food) Im just wondering about some things i should know while harness training & how i can encourage putting his head thru the harness?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

birdfamiliar

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sara
start with target training using a chopstick and treats. Then put your target through the loop and reward each time they voluntarily reach their head through (aka make it less about the target and more about the action). Stretch the loop to draw attention to it if they have trouble understanding. Once you put it on the first time, don't leave it on. Take it off fairly quickly and reward your bird again.

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@birdfamiliar Thank you! The only problem i have rn is my birdie will grab the chopstick and pull it out of my hand while I'm trying to target train haha, What should i do about that?

birdfamiliar

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sara
If you have a clicker, let them know that sound = success. And when they hear that, they know the trick is over, so to speak, and should stop pulling on the chopstick. I would personally hold it tighter, though ;3

Piggy'smom

Strolling the yard
@birdfamiliar Thank you! The only problem i have rn is my birdie will grab the chopstick and pull it out of my hand while I'm trying to target train haha, What should i do about that?
With the chopstick, all he needs to do is touch it. As soon as he touches the chopstick (before he has a chance to open the beak and grab it) take it away and reward him. If he's able to grab the chopstick and pull, it just means you're keeping it there too long. A tap of the tip of the beak is all he should be doing. Good luck!

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@Piggy'smom Oh thank you! Pixel only knows how to target by biting it, So i assumed i should do the same with toto, I guess i was wrong!