• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness Training for Gromit

Weelasmaree

Strolling the yard
Hi all!

I have started to entertain the idea of harness training with Gromit and was hoping some of you could point me to some great threads regarding harness training and even the best harness to purchase for a cockatiel.

I know they usually come with DVD's but extra tips would be awesome. Pro's and con's, all that good stuff.

Thanks!
7792C993-2235-4D2E-A509-6F891B3D5D3E.JPG

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Take your time getting Gromet used to it. Let him see it laying around for a while, then maybe play with it with him, then try slipping it over his head unfastend, and when he's totally comfortable wearing them try fastening it. Make sure he's very comfy in it before attaching the leash, then walk around the house with him on your shoulder for a while before heading outside. This worked for my crew!

Weelasmaree

Strolling the yard
@EkkieLu Thank you! Definitely going to take it slow. Do you have many recommendations for what harness to purchase. There's harnesses priced between $14.00AU - $75.00AU, so I have a feeling there could be some dodgy harnesses out there on the internet?

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I have the Premier Feather Tether Harness and Leash for all my babies. These work great for my size crew. Got them on Amazon. Very reasonable too. $20 US

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge