• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

harness and leash

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Me and my boyfriend always go out together. I never do it alone.
I posted a thread on my birthday when we took Sydney out and a hawk came and I never saw it, my boyferiend was the one to alert me. I´m pretty vigilent but a hawk really does just come out of nowhere! We were in a large open space.
:omg: Had you ever seen hawks in that area before? I'm amazed that they would dare to take a bird sitting on a human!!

We also have a little hawk that live across the road on top of a building, a little weird but he´s there in the middle of the town. I take the carry bag with me so I quickly put him in there so he would be safe.
There is much more wildlife around than we think, I like it very much but not when it becomes threatening to our small friends... Good idea with the carrier! Is it a backpack one?

I was talking with @Ripshod about harness training literally this week and he specificly mentioned crows and magpies and that he was hesitant because of them (indicating they are predators). I would treat them as you would a hawk and be on the lookout for them.
Ripshod lives in the UK and you are in Spain, right? I wouldn't think Noway's variant is much different then. Maybe I should try and go some rounds with a stuffed bird and bird chirping on MP3, see if they react to it!! :wacky:

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I know what you mean about walking at dusk. I'm still adjusting to bringing birds along. Used to be I'd hang with the birds after work until dark, put them to bed, then walk the dogs. Now that they're finally getting trained enough to come along, I'm having to work out a new schedule.
Maybe you will have to switch, like walk the birds until dark then put the dogs to bed :roflmao:
Not easy to be everywhere.. That's why I didn't push hard on the training with my birds. Being alone with 2 kids + work I didn't have time nor room for it. Glad I kept my act and didn't weaken when my son asked for a dog... :dead:
Now the kids are older, and I've learned much since my first birds, so there is hope!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Oh yes, there are ads on tv here at magpie breeding season time to help remind people how to best protect themselves from the magpies @Zara.
WHAT?! :wideyed: That's NEVER been an issue here. Seagulls are attacking people in May-June because they would lay eggs on flat roofs (typically over malls, schools and apartment houses but now we put kites in the shape of birds of prey on those roofs so they don't lay eggs there anymore and it has not been an issue in the past few years.

Just the other week when taking my son to another town 45mins away there were three magpies harassing two bigger birds of prey and the magpies were winning lol. I wish I had of pulled over and took some footage :( Other birds just naturally seem to avoid and are wary of crows and magpies.
They would do that to protect they chicks, as smaller birds would harass them if they threaten to take theirs. Usually the offender leaves, his motivation for a meal being lower than the parents motivation to protect their kids :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Usually that is the case but I believe they were chasing the birds of prey off some road kill in this particular incident.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am in Aus, so we do have some hyper territorial and robust wildlife.

When my chicks (chickens) are little I take them out mid day to practice foraging and the explore the grass. I sit with them. They are running around in between my legs. T-Rex was pulled and dragged across the yard when she was 6 weeks old. The magpie was intending to fly off with her. A 6 week old chicken weighs MUCH MUCH more than a parrotlet. Even a protective song bird could knock out an unsuspecting parrotlet. I ran after the magpie and T-rex wasn't dropped any great height, thank goodness she was just heavy enough..that the magpie was really struggling. T-rex was lucky. It was a very stressful moment. I still think it is important for chickens to get some foraging practice and ground play, but now Eric comes with me, at least until they are older.

I will not be doing outdoor harness training with my parrotlets here. Even today there was a kookaburra that was watching my parrots from a near branch. --I am considering harnesses for inside buildings, maybe pet store visits? I have my eyes set on a bird bag though. My current bird bag is more of a dog bag, so I don't think they really enjoy it as they should.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Oh yes, there are ads on tv here at magpie breeding season time to help remind people how to best protect themselves from the magpies @Zara. Just the other week when taking my son to another town 45mins away there were three magpies harassing two bigger birds of prey and the magpies were winning lol. I wish I had of pulled over and took some footage :( Other birds just naturally seem to avoid and are wary of crows and magpies.
OMG Sounds bad!! When I lived in the UK, I didn´t have a pet bird so I never even thought about birds in this way until I was talking to Ripshod.

Had you ever seen hawks in that area before?
Yes

I'm amazed that they would dare to take a bird sitting on a human!!
It has happened. There are people on this forum who will tell you about hawks taking their bird off their shoulder even while wearing a harness.

Is it a backpack one?
No it´s a dog carrier. So a soft bag, but it will disguise the bird a little, but he can see out. Pictures - A perfect afternoon | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Ripshod lives in the UK and you are in Spain, right? I wouldn't think Noway's variant is much different then. Maybe I should try and go some rounds with a stuffed bird and bird chirping on MP3, see if they react to it!! :wacky:
lol sounds funny, but it wouldn´t be a bad idea going for a walk and seeing what other birds you spot :)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My Aunty was out horse riding with her small dog quite a few years ago. An eagle swooped down and actually picked her dog up and managed to fly a fair distance before dropping the dog then coming back for a second try.

Magpies and crows couldn’t pick up animals as big as my aunts dog but they will harass them for food or territories. They are very bold and confident and have most other wildlife
basically deeply respecting them. Most other animals (even pets in certain areas) are very cautious and afraid of the crows and magpies here.

I bet you would find footage somewhere on google....there’s often funny clips of these birds harassing people and other animals that I’ve been shown by people who use FB. One was a clip of a person riding a bike screaming and being constantly swooped for quite some distance. It made the news lol.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
When my chicks (chickens) are little I take them out mid day to practice foraging and the explore the grass. I sit with them. They are running around in between my legs. T-Rex was pulled and dragged across the yard when she was 6 weeks old. The magpie was intending to fly off with her. A 6 week old chicken weighs MUCH MUCH more than a parrotlet. Even a protective song bird could knock out an unsuspecting parrotlet. I ran after the magpie and T-rex wasn't dropped, thank goodness she was just heavy enough..that the magpie was really struggling. T-rex was lucky. It was a very stressful moment. I still think it is important for chickens to get some foraging practice and ground play, but now Eric comes with me, at least until they are older.
:wideyed: That's some magpie you have down in Australia!!! Wouldn't it be safer to build a chicken fence?! With roof net...

I will not be doing outdoor harness training with my parrotlets here. Even today there was a kookaburra that was watching my parrots from a near branch. --I am considering harnesses for inside buildings, maybe pet store visits? I have my eyes set on a bird bag though. My current bird bag is more of a dog bag, so I don't think they really enjoy it as they should.
I had to look up for kookaburra, they look like kingfisher, do they also eat meat?
Yes I was also thinking of harness for inside but of course, if it would be nice to use it outside too.

Now I just had a chat with a colleague telling me that she has a crow attacking her and her dog for the third year now :wideyed: She says the crow naps at her (red -could it be it??) hair and teases the dog. Hard to say if the crow is just a bully or if it has some other reasons for doing this.. :blink:

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
:wideyed: That's some magpie you have down in Australia!!! Wouldn't it be safer to build a chicken fence?! With roof net...
Well as adult chickens they are much more substantial birds and are safe to roam the garden within reason. Dogs are a risk, and large snakes. I do have an 18 sqm fenced enclosure with a fenced roof also. Mostly to reduce the risk of carpet pythons eating them at night. Nova is a silkie bantam, so she would be a meal to this kind of snake. They do get time to run about the garden during the day.

When they are little I like sitting with them in good foraging spots. Trust me my little chickens are my babies. They are treasured and I do my best to provide them an emotionally rich childhood (chickhood?) Some of the smaller foraging hides for chickens are pretty exposing for a little chick. Not to mention I couldn't fit in there. Little chicks like to run up and check in with mum all the time. They need a lot of wings hugs and comfort. --I am always 100% present and actively supervising them. This is my point. The magpie was that bold to try and take one anyway. It hasn't happened again. I have become a much more paranoid hen. I raised chicks 4 years ago, and also at the end of 2018 :) I won't have chicks again for another 2-4 years. It is so much work to raise little birds.

I had to look up for kookaburra, they look like kingfisher, do they also eat meat?
They sure do. They hunt mostly lizards and such. A bird or baby bird would also be a tasty meal.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
It has happened. There are people on this forum who will tell you about hawks taking their bird off their shoulder even while wearing a harness.

:scared2: Horrible! I'm really glad I invested this before I started with it, so now I can think ahead. I can't imagine how awful it must be to see your bird snatched from you that way :sad11:

No it´s a dog carrier. So a soft bag, but it will disguise the bird a little, but he can see out. Pictures - A perfect afternoon | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
I'm waiting for mine to arrive any day now!! :excited1:
48259_PLA_Vogeltransporttasche_Free_Fly_aus_Nylon_DSC7402_4.jpg

lol sounds funny, but it wouldn´t be a bad idea going for a walk and seeing what other birds you spot :)
Actually, my budgies can be quite loud at times so I guess all the birds around know they are there, either they are inside with the window ajar or outside on the balcony. Never had a visitor, not even sitting on the trees around. We have an old crow sitting on the street lamp, sometimes he has a friend visiting for diner but he is mostly alone, and a couple of magpies arguing, each of them thinking they are smarter than the other ;)

Magpies and crows couldn’t pick up animals as big as my aunts dog but they will harass them for food or territories. They are very bold and confident and have most other wildlife basically deeply respecting them. Most other animals (even pets in certain areas) are very cautious and afraid of the crows and magpies here.
I bet you would find footage somewhere on google....there’s often funny clips of these birds harassing people and other animals that I’ve been shown by people who use FB. One was a clip of a person riding a bike screaming and being constantly swooped for quite some distance. It made the news lol.
Poor guy! But then that's very foreign to me, and hopefully won't be an issue in these parts for quite a while :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Well as adult chickens they are much more substantial birds and are safe to roam the garden within reason. Dogs are a risk, and large snakes. I do have an 18 sqm fenced enclosure with a fenced roof also. Mostly to reduce the risk of carpet pythons eating them at night. Nova is a silkie bantam, so she would be a meal to this kind of snake. They do get time to run about the garden during the day.
When they are little I like sitting with them in good foraging spots. Trust me my little chickens are my babies. They are treasured and I do my best to provide them an emotionally rich childhood (chickhood?) Some of the smaller foraging hides for chickens are pretty exposing for a little chick. Not to mention I couldn't fit in there. Little chicks like to run up and check in with mum all the time. They need a lot of wings hugs and comfort. --I am always 100% present and actively supervising them. This is my point. The magpie was that bold to try and take one anyway. It hasn't happened again. I have become a much more paranoid hen. I raised chicks 4 years ago, and also at the end of 2018 :) I won't have chicks again for another 2-4 years. It is so much work to raise little birds.
They sure do. They hunt mostly lizards and such. A bird or baby bird would also be a tasty meal.
My god, sounds like you live in a wild jungle!! I'm sure glad I don't have to think about all those snakes and bloodthirsty kingfishers!

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
@Gribouille

It isn't all bad :) I really love where I live. I just need to be sensible with little parrots outside!

Some of my neighbors | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Sure have to adapt to our environment, here we have to be wary of the temperature mostly.
My 14-year old dreams of living in Australia and work with the RSPCA there (One of my first Summer jobs was at the RSPCA in UK, I got to be a bird mamma for many fledgings, one of my best memories ever:heart:!!). Maybe I'll send him over to you when he's old enough!! :D

Ripshod

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I've ordered my Aviator so darn the crows, if need be Buddy can ride inside my clothes and I'll be sticking close to buildings.
It's not that magpies and crows are predators par se. They are opportunists, if they see a likely meal they will go for it.
I've seen a local magpie kill a blackbird with ease, and a crow kill a magpie.
Right now would be perfect, when both species are raiding nests and killing fledglings, but I have to wait. I have a couple of green ribbons (same colour as the harness) that I introduced Buddy to, and she's quite happy with me running them around her wings and her belly no problem.

ETA: Coincidence. Just received the email from the store, my harness is on it's way :bliss:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've ordered my Aviator so darn the crows, if need be Buddy can ride inside my clothes and I'll be sticking close to buildings.
It's not that magpies and crows are predators par se. They are opportunists, if they see a likely meal they will go for it.
I've seen a local magpie kill a blackbird with ease, and a crow kill a magpie.
Right now would be perfect, when both species are raiding nests and killing fledglings, but I have to wait. I have a couple of green ribbons (same colour as the harness) that I introduced Buddy to, and she's quite happy with me running them around her wings and her belly no problem.

ETA: Coincidence. Just received the email from the store, my harness is on it's way :bliss:
:dance4: It's time to take your stuffed birdy and your MP3 with chirping sounds to take a walk in the area and see if you can spot any bad guy ready to jump on your stuffed bird:rpg6:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
@Shezbug, I see you are a moderator, is there any way I can correct the awful spelling mistake in the title?? I cringe each time I see that "leach":scared4:

laracroft

Strolling the yard
I have a harness for Micah but never finished training him to use it. I stopped after an incident where a hawk was lurking outside the window he was in and scared the crap of of him. I hate to think what would have happened if the window had been open or he had been outside.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I have a harness for Micah but never finished training him to use it. I stopped after an incident where a hawk was lurking outside the window he was in and scared the crap of of him. I hate to think what would have happened if the window had been open or he had been outside.
wow.. and where are you living?
To be honest I don't know if I'll ever be able to train a bird this much, but I want to try... I've ordered the training stuff used on Fair-talk -clicker, training pouch for treats and harness (+ a toy but sshh, it's a surprise!). And the carrier is already on its way. So now I just need to get a bird :lol:

laracroft

Strolling the yard
I'm in Michigan. That was up at my parents' place on the lake, but there are definitely hawks in the city as well. And the ones in the city are used to people, obviously, so I'd say they're even more dangerous.

Well you've bought the carrier, you have to get the bird now! :hehe: Are you still considering the green rumps?

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
wow.. and where are you living?
To be honest I don't know if I'll ever be able to train a bird this much, but I want to try... I've ordered the training stuff used on Fair-talk -clicker, training pouch for treats and harness (+ a toy but sshh, it's a surprise!). And the carrier is already on its way. So now I just need to get a bird :lol:

That little parrotlet you almost brought home has left their impression on you :p