• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

harness and leash

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Looking for pellets and stuff, I found out that you could buy harnesses for parrotlets :wideyed: That looks so cute and cool! Has anyone here tried that?

images.jpg s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I take my lovebird out in a harness. (Not the same, but very close :) )

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I´m not sure. I bought it at my local pet store.
When he first wore it he would have been 3 I think..
Maybe this will help:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I´m not sure. I bought it at my local pet store.
When he first wore it he would have been 3 I think..
Maybe this will help:
Thanks, I saw a video reviewing the aviator for p'lets, it looked quite thick and the lady said it didn't fit properly and annoyed the p'let. The mini wings I didn't find a review but it looks much lighter. Hopefully that doesn't mean it can be chewed and damaged easily too...
So 3 year old.. Wouldn't it be easier to begin the training with a baby? I've seen they have to be well trained and completely trust you before putting it on, is that why you waited?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
So 3 year old.. Wouldn't it be easier to begin the training with a baby? I've seen they have to be well trained and completely trust you before putting it on, is that why you waited?
I unintentionally waited because that is when the idea occured to me.
If Sydney had a buddy, I probably would have never even tried harness training, but I feel bad that he´s a loner so this is his compensation.
I tried Adelie with the harness when she was a few months old and she never took to it. I stopped trying to introduce her because I felt it was overwhelming her as she has me stretching her feet twice a day so she has enough frustration in her life.

I think it is hit or miss whether a bird will take to it or not. And I don´t believe age has much to do with it.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
That's a point, I never thought the thought either before I saw this ad about them. Never dreamed it could fit on such a little bird and was jealous of the owners of big parrots, who could take their bird out with them.
Did it take a long time for you to train sydney? Is he completely tame? On the tiny wings video they say you have to be able to handle the bird like, take him and turn him around etc... before you even start trying?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Sydney trusts me. He was an only bird for over a year and so we have a close relationship :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I ordered a cheap one from China. If my bird accepts it I'll buy a better one, Mini wings or Aviator, which I see is very praised by people who have tried several brands :cool:
Twitter also trusted me, I was his mom, but he never accepted that I put my hand on his back. So I don't think he would have taken on a harness, but I didn't really try to train him. I just tamed him so he was not afraid of us and would come for cuddle, share our meals and respected the house's rules but he wasn't a pet, no step up etc.. If I get a new baby I intend to spend more time to tame and train him, to share even more with him :heart: Taking him out for walks or small shopping trips would be so nice!!

By the way I saw people saying they took their birds on harness in the car and to the pet shop to see the other birds... :blink: What's the point of having quarantaine when you take a new bird in from the pet shop, if you take said bird to unknown birds at the pet shop...? :confused::facepalm:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Just remember to be very patient when introducing the harness.

I would also be very wary of the quality of the harness you ordered. Make sure it is made with safe materials and it is strong.

Yea, I would never do that (take my bird into a pet store), it doesn´t make sense. I take my bird up the mountain near my house usually. I haven´t done it in a while because I was up there last month with my dad and lucky I left Sydney at home because I fell. It knocked my confidence taking him up there again. We´ll see....

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Just remember to be very patient when introducing the harness.

I would also be very wary of the quality of the harness you ordered. Make sure it is made with safe materials and it is strong.
I would only use it for training but it seems the order didn't go through so I'm back to square one there.

lucky I left Sydney at home because I fell. It knocked my confidence taking him up there again.
You mean you're afraid you would have let go of the leash? Can't you have it around your wirst? I used to do that with my dog, had it around my wrist, holding on the part coming after the "handle" part

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie

Flock-Talk has a few videos of her parrotlet outdoors. She explains some of the predator prevention strategies she uses. She mentions that she never goes for walks alone, so that there is at least a second pair of human eyes helping look around. :)

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue

Flock-Talk has a few videos of her parrotlet outdoors. She explains some of the predator prevention strategies she uses. She mentions that she never goes for walks alone, so that there is at least a second pair of human eyes helping look around. :)
Where does she live and what kind of predator are we talking about? Where I live we have cats but they wouldn't try and take a bird on a person. The biggest birds around are crows and magpies, but they aren't predators so we should be fine :) anyway, I have to get a baby bird first, and train him... so I guess we won't be outside before next Summer at least! :D

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The crows and magpies here can be rather savage at times.
I was told recently that crows and magpies in other countries are very different to ours and are fairly placid birds, I may just have to look that up now after reading your comment @Gribouille :)

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
is this the same as the forum "talk Parrotlet"? I seach for flock talk and have been send there..
Where does she live and what kind of predator are we talking about? Where I live we have cats but they wouldn't try and take a bird on a person. The biggest birds around are crows and magpies, but they aren't predators so we should be fine :) anyway, I have to get a baby bird first, and train him... so I guess we won't be outside before next Summer at least! :D
I'm curious where you live that doesn't have birds of prey?

I'm in a very urban area and never realized how many birds of prey were around here until recently, when I started really watching the skies with my parrots in mind. Now I spot hawks almost daily on my commute to and from work. Often it's just a flash as they pass over a gap in the trees, but they're there.

What really freaked me out, though, was my very first walk with my Quaker riding in a backpack carrier (just a couple weeks ago). We walked through the park at dusk, and when I stopped at a drinking fountain, a couple leaves fell from a nearby tree. I looked up, expecting to see a squirrel, and it was a freaking owl, not ten feet away! I've lived here 10 years and have NEVER seen an owl inside the city limits. No way was it a coincidence that the first time I see one, I happen to have a prey animal chirping and visible in my company.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The crows and magpies here can be rather savage at times.n be
I was told recently that crows and magpies in other countries are very different to ours and are fairly placid birds, I may just have to look that up now after reading your comment @Gribouille :)
I've seen someone refering to crows and magpies as predators and I was skocked, I never thought those birds could be seen as such because ours (Europe) are really no threat. They are scavangers and could kill chicks at the nest, but that's it.
Crows are quite shy when it comes to humans, they keep their distance.
Magpies can be bolder and try to come closer if they think they can grab something but they'll flee as soon as your behavior shows you've spotted them. I've seen a group of magpies killing one of their own during a harsh Winter, they could probably do it because the victim stayed with them nonetheless and was weaken over time. Any other bird would flee and they wouldn't have a chance to kill it.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'm curious where you live that doesn't have birds of prey?

I'm in a very urban area and never realized how many birds of prey were around here until recently, when I started really watching the skies with my parrots in mind. Now I spot hawks almost daily on my commute to and from work. Often it's just a flash as they pass over a gap in the trees, but they're there.

What really freaked me out, though, was my very first walk with my Quaker riding in a backpack carrier (just a couple weeks ago). We walked through the park at dusk, and when I stopped at a drinking fountain, a couple leaves fell from a nearby tree. I looked up, expecting to see a squirrel, and it was a freaking owl, not ten feet away! I've lived here 10 years and have NEVER seen an owl inside the city limits. No way was it a coincidence that the first time I see one, I happen to have a prey animal chirping and visible in my company.
Where do you live?
I live on the outshirts of a large town (large being relative to what large is in Norway, which in other countries is a small town!!), we have a large recreational area just 15min away (walking) with forest and lakes, plus many green spots everywhere. We of course have wildlife and birds of prey but although I live between a kindergarten and an open green area and watch for them, I never see any bird of prey. I think they prefer to keep in the forest where they have plenty of food (birds and other wildlife are well fed since they live so close to houses and the area is well used by families for walks, grilling and playing) and more peaceful days than around schools and crowded places.
I haven't heard an owl since I moved a couple of months ago but I did where I lived before (about 1km away) so I don't doubt they can be around. I wouldn't take my birds out at dusk anyway, they get sleepy and go to bed on their own

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
She mentions that she never goes for walks alone, so that there is at least a second pair of human eyes helping look around. :)
Me and my boyfriend always go out together. I never do it alone.
I posted a thread on my birthday when we took Sydney out and a hawk came and I never saw it, my boyferiend was the one to alert me. I´m pretty vigilent but a hawk really does just come out of nowhere! We were in a large open space.
We also have a little hawk that live across the road on top of a building, a little weird but he´s there in the middle of the town.
I take the carry bag with me so I quickly put him in there so he would be safe.

The crows and magpies here can be rather savage at times.
I was talking with @Ripshod about harness training literally this week and he specificly mentioned crows and magpies and that he was hesitant because of them (indicating they are predators). I would treat them as you would a hawk and be on the lookout for them.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Where do you live?
I'm in downtown New Orleans, Louisiana. There's lots of wildlife in the surrounding areas, but in the city itself you don't see nearly as much.

I know what you mean about walking at dusk. I'm still adjusting to bringing birds along. Used to be I'd hang with the birds after work until dark, put them to bed, then walk the dogs. Now that they're finally getting trained enough to come along, I'm having to work out a new schedule.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh yes, there are ads on tv here at magpie breeding season time to help remind people how to best protect themselves from the magpies @Zara. Just the other week when taking my son to another town 45mins away there were three magpies harassing two bigger birds of prey and the magpies were winning lol. I wish I had of pulled over and took some footage :( Other birds just naturally seem to avoid and are wary of crows and magpies.