• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harley's Mystery

NerdyBirdie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
So, I have a mystery. My male SI eclectus has been plucking a lot more than usual, but my vet said there's nothing I can do. Here's his conditions...

He's 8 years old.

I suspect that he has seasonal depression because he plucked during this time last year as well.

I've had him for just over a year, but he has had some trauma in the past.

He spent most of his life in a cramped cage. Once I adopted him I got him a large macaw cage, yet he didn't like to be kept in it for long so recently I purchased a large tree-like play set for him, and he likes that much better because he has full access to the room (bird-proofed.)

He has become very attached to me over these last few months and has been increasingly hormonal.

He doesn't like to play with toys at all, but he has many many available.

He is on a mostly pellet (roudybush) diet as he just throws anything else on the floor. He does like scrambled eggs, however. (cage-free organic, no added salt or anything.)

He stays home and talks to the roomba while I am away at school. He doesn't pluck much while I'm away, mostly sleeps.

He goes through phases of hating different people. He used to love my father but now if he even sees him he'll say "ouch!" and "no!" like he's imagining hurting him.

He has been chewing on his feet and toenails a lot.

He regurgitates on me all. the. time. (but is discouraged from doing so... nothing smells worse than half-digested roudybush)

His poop is normal.

He has plucked much of his neck, where there is now skin showing. Under his wings it's mostly patchy down. His flight feathers and tail feathers are partially chewed, but not as bad as last year.

He's had his blood tested recently and all is well there..

Not long ago I noticed a black patch on the roof of his upper mandible. I'm worried! I e-mailed my vet but haven't heard back yet.

He's a chatter box and is energetic and just seems overall happy yet his plucking is only getting worse.

My thoughts are that he is needing another diet change, perhaps more leafy greens, (though I don't know if I can get him to eat them.." and some pretty severe hormonal frustrations, if you know what I mean. At this point his plucking may just be a habit now, as the vet has told me.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

ChirpyMacaw

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joel
from what i know, eclectuses shouldn't have pellets, seeds, etc as a staple. (not sure if this is causing the plucking though)

NerdyBirdie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
The problem is he doesn't want to eat anything else and gets stressed and makes a big mess

BirdField

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Finn
Pellets aren't very good for eclectus. I believe it's something to do with their long intestinal tract that absorbs everything. All of the nutrients that are packed into pellets end up getting absorbed to a nearly toxic level in eclectus, causing things like involuntary toe tapping / wing flipping, medical related plucking, and other issues. It's just enough nutrients for other species of parrots to absorb but eclectus absorb so much of it that it causes issues.
So it could be his pellet diet, but since you said it seems seasonal, I almost wonder if it's to do with hormones? I'm clueless on that, so hopefully someone else more experienced can comment. In general, never pet him anywhere but his head (don't pet his back back, under his wings, and his belly / near his vent, as this can be perceived as sexual and cause more hormones).
But do change his diet up, and even if he protests it'll be much healthier and safer for him in the long run. There's all sorts of threads on here about gradually changing parrot diets, even for the most stubborn of parrots. You can always make your own thread, too, there's no dumb or silly questions on here, only questions that can help us all learn. :)
By the way, he's super cute, I've always loved their bright little beaks! Hopefully he feels better soon and you can figure this out. :heart:

NerdyBirdie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Thank you for the detailed response! I was told by several resources that Roudybush pellets were the best option for eclectus diet (paired with assorted vegetables). Do you know anything about that brand in particular?

Thanks so much! I'll be sure to tell him.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I also remember reading that eclectus are one of the only parrots that should not be fed pellet diets. There are threads on this site which will have lots of information on the best options for diets that are suitable for your bird. I vaguely remember reading about an eclectus with similar health issues to what you are describing who was also on a pellet diet, might be worth you having a look through the eclectus threads for some other stories similar?

Roudybush is in the list of the better brands of pellets to use, check out Mizzely's site for some more information on pellets if you like. Her store is lil monsters (she is one of the AA vendors) and she has a fair amount of information there.

Last edited:

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Hi. My eclectus is offered vegs and fruit in the morning and vegs with a couple of nuts and seeds, (she is moulting) and mash for her afternoon meal. I finely dice her vegs and fruit. She prefers to eat fruit and veg over anything else. I feed them at similar times to how they eat in the wild. So, early morning then late afternoon. That is when they are most hungry. I wonder if your boy is overloading on pellets and it exacerbates his hormonal reactions. My girl needs baths and she gets sunlight when in the aviary.
When I got Ruby she was on a seed and pellet diet and was not as comfortable in her skin. I offer at least 8-12 different foods each meal. Initially she picked out only grapes,green beans and pomegranate seeds so they can be picky. I would try pomegranate seeds as I have found that all my birds adore them. Good luck. :)

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Oh, just meant to add that if the vet is right and there is nothing wrong physically then it must be hormonal or mental. Seasonal depression is possible. I also meant to say that it took a while to get Ruby to eat her new diet. I had to cheat. I gave her nuts which she liked and when I saw she ate them I offered nuts and peas, then nuts , peas and corn and slowly she was ok with other foods. I limited the pellets and after a few days I withheld them . Now I offer a few pellets but she usually leaves them. I don't give her many nuts anymore but it did help her to transition.

NerdyBirdie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Awesome thank you, he does like pomegranate but I have to feed it to him outside because he makes such a mess. Lately it's been very cold so I haven't taken him outside, however, as it gets warmer I think I will offer more again. I heard that sugary fruits like that were bad for their diets so I rarely offer it anyways

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I am so pleased with all the posts in this. So much awesome information for @NerdyBirdie to read over. I have read much of the same information that pellets aren't ideal for ekkies. Mutated parrotlets are also sensitive to them. I only feed veg, fruits and quality seeds, grains and nuts. I have a system of offering fresh produce and grains like quinoa in the early morning. I offer seed as rewards during the day at random times or if I am busy all seeds are provided through foraging during the day. I don't offer them in open cups during the day. In the evening before bed they get a chance to eat some more seeds/nuts from a cup.

During a hormonal period more foraging and more sleep can help. Consider giving Harley an earlier bed time :) I hope you figure out how to get that sweet little dude back to his routine. He is such a lovely dude!

p.s. I fully support pellets with the correct species. :)

Les charlson

Walking the driveway
Your boy is adorable. I agree they can be messy. Thats why I dice my birds food, they don't flick it as much. As for sugary fruit you are correct. I limit things like grapes, banana, pears, passionfruit and apple to a few times a week but I do give peaches, watermelon, berries, pawpaw, red papaya, cherries, sprouts and sprinkle a teaspoon of pomegranate seeds when they are in season. Its hot here in Australia so its one way of keeping up their fluids. Eclectus need more fruit and veg than other parrots and can handle the extra fibre due to their longer-than-usual digestive tract. I found pellets make Ruby develop a tic I am glad she is eating naturally now. Its not easy to change them, they can be stubborn, I know. :)

Awesome thank you, he does like pomegranate but I have to feed it to him outside because he makes such a mess. Lately it's been very cold so I haven't taken him outside, however, as it gets warmer I think I will offer more again. I heard that sugary fruits like that were bad for their diets so I rarely offer it anyways

NerdyBirdie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
Update: Harley is scheduled to visit a new vet for further insight on the 5th. I made a list of foods to offer, many from the wonderful people who posted here! Step one is carrots, I boiled slices for him so they would be softer, and I also offered him the water I boiled the carrots in (after it cooled of course). That way even if he doesn't appreciate the carrot flavor he still gets the nutrients in the water. Hopefully this will make a little difference!

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Okay, you have gotten some great advice. I too, thought Elkies should have pellets and somebody quickly educated me on another forum, that NO, they should not, be eating pellets. Fresh cut veggies for those guys.

Here is a good site for you. It explains feather plucking/diet in the first paragraph.According to them, the wrong diet will contribute to feather plucking.

Eclectus Food: What To Feed An Eclectus Parrot | BirdSupplies.com

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B