• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hard to figure him out sometimes

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
For over 6 months Farlie never liked bananas. He wouldn't go near lettuce and now throws broccoli and carrots out of his fresh food bowl.
Can't figure him out. He begs to high heaven for banana now and wants lettuce also but it's got to be green and not the white sections.
I guess I'll just keep trying everything. He may change his mind again... :waitsws2:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
:dance4: YAY Farlie!!! Yes, keep trying everything!!! Ollie refused blueberries for 8.5 years.... he's now decided they are scrumptious!!! That was 8.5 years of putting a couple of blueberries in his bowl every breakfast and him avoiding them. At least Farlie is choosing the more nutritious green parts of the lettuce over the white. Romaine lettuce is a good green choice. You'll have to start growing lettuces in your AeroGarden! :D

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Guess I'm lucky. If it's food Cheddar and Riti will eat it. If it's not food they try it anyway! Cheddar loves the carrots and Riti takes after the greens, mainly baby Kale.

I fact I had to run down the Sugarcreek Bird Farm today to pick up the seed mix I give the Safflower Gold, Cockatiel and Conure. Long drive for two bags on seed. I normally take the motorcycle and make a fun trip of it BUT it's raining to beat the band so I took the car. Not as much fun but a lot drier!

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
If it is squishy and messy, Apollo will shove his face into it up to his ears.... all while squealing/grunting happily. Cole just stares at dad like you are embarrassing and waits his turn.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
They really are like toddlers sometimes. They love something one day and hate it the next. My Nibbles would happily take something from your hand, now if I offer her something, she bites me instead. She knows if she bites so goes back in her cage, but she does it anyway. If I put it in her food dish, she has a temper tantrum. She screams, and bangs things around in her cage. Now if I offer her a raspberry, she's all over it and quickly looks like she's murdered someone. One of many reasons I call her Brat Bird.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I just got Buddy to eat Mango! Took 2 years! It took him thinking he was stealing from me to consume it.think

Bananas only if they're just past green (still starchy) to yellow. One dark spot & its floor food!

It sounds like Farlie's looking for a change. Maybe make some spaghetti squash! If you can find one. W/ or W/ out sauce, Buddy loves it. I haven't been able to get one because I NEED that sauce to eat the other 95% of it!

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Funny my crew would eat cooked pasta 24/7 if I'd let them.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
For over 6 months Farlie never liked bananas. He wouldn't go near lettuce and now throws broccoli and carrots out of his fresh food bowl.
Can't figure him out. He begs to high heaven for banana now and wants lettuce also but it's got to be green and not the white sections.
I guess I'll just keep trying everything. He may change his mind again... :waitsws2:

It's a funny thing about food with parrots. I
Sometimes it's just a matter of size. Mine likes it cut into big chunks, not little dices.
Veggies, if I soak them in water first ( all veggies are washed in warm water and dried anyway)
They will eat wet veggies, ignor dry. Again size and presentation. Or better yet if I eat it, they want it!!
Silly little sods they are.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a funny thing about food with parrots. I
Sometimes it's just a matter of size. Mine likes it cut into big chunks, not little dices.
Veggies, if I soak them in water first ( all veggies are washed in warm water and dried anyway)
They will eat wet veggies, ignor dry. Again size and presentation. Or better yet if I eat it, they want it!!
Silly little sods they are.

Yep, I laugh @ how Buddy just won't touch whatever is in that coop cup, but the minute I pull it outta the cage & sit by his cage door....

This little head pops out :joyful: & down onto the door trying to steal it right outta that cup he wouldn't even :wtf: glance @ before I started eating outta it.

Little Goof ball!
:fairy2:

Farlie

Real Name
Rick
Yesterday 'we' were eating a banana. I cut a big piece off with my fork for myself then offer him a smaller piece.
Well, I got lazy and offered him a bite of my big piece from my fork and he grabbed the whole thing and spun around away from me. Made me laugh out loud cuz this piece was larger than his little head. He could barely hold it while standing on one foot. It was all I could do to get it away from him to give him a smaller piece. Something he could handle. :rofl:
Silly bird...

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
I threw away a small farm's worth of food before I found out to prepare it to the liking of my crew. Picky Picky Picky. The broccoli was cut in to big of pieces or too small. The carrots aren't sliced just right. And there's tp much corn and not enough peas. And then there"s the cooked foods, rice, brown or wild pasta and Higgens Worldly Cuisine and the few of the choices offered that the Picky Ones decide they like.

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yep, I laugh @ how Buddy just won't touch whatever is in that coop cup, but the minute I pull it outta the cage & sit by his cage door....

This little head pops out :joyful: & down onto the door trying to steal it right outta that cup he wouldn't even :wtf: glance @ before I started eating outta it.

Little Goof ball!
:fairy2:

I've come to the conclusion it's a flock thing! They want you to eat with them. Mine go wild if they are able to sit beside me and eat...they love togetherness when eating. Put it in their food bowls on cage...yea, it's peck peck throw.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've come to the conclusion it's a flock thing! They want you to eat with them. Mine go wild if they are able to sit beside me and eat...they love togetherness when eating. Put it in their food bowls on cage...yea, it's peck peck throw.

Or ignore completely just cause your eating w/ me but over there not over here. Oh yea, now you want to sit w/ me & eat, shread, shread .... Bored, gonna play w/ this toy now!

Yesterday 'we' were eating a banana. I cut a big piece off with my fork for myself then offer him a smaller piece.
Well, I got lazy and offered him a bite of my big piece from my fork and he grabbed the whole thing and spun around away from me. Made me laugh out loud cuz this piece was larger than his little head. He could barely hold it while standing on one foot. It was all I could do to get it away from him to give him a smaller piece. Something he could handle. :rofl:
Silly bird...

No Dad, I want the bigger one!:laugh::roflmao:

Hawk12237

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Silly bird...

Size matters!!! They want the big piece!