• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hard feathers no cockatoo dust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margo

Moving in
Real Name
Margo Dover
:)We recently got a six year old male umbrella cockaoo rescue. He was strictly on an all seed diet. Since we have had him for about 2 months now his feathers hve improved greatly. He has been eating vegetables, fruits, andall sorts of good stuff. But we nhave also noticed he produces no dust andhisn feather follicles are hard. Some of his new follicles are soft nlike they should be. I also have a female umbrella that is now six. I have had her since she was a baby. I am the only mom she has ever known. I also have na concure that is a rescue and 2 parakeets. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thanks Margo

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
2 months is not really long enough to have a complete change of health after a lifetime of nothing but seed. He may be lacking some vital nutrients no matter what he's been eating. Have you had any blood work done on him to have a "true" picture of his health? That would tell you the things he may be lacking.

Bathing also helps to get the dust flowing.

A healthy TOO is a dusty TOO.

I don't understand what you are saying about "hard follicles"? A follicle is on the skin. Are you talking about new feathers. New feathers are soft because they are growing out and have blood in them. Fully grown mature feathers are hard at the base.

Last edited:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I was going to also say bathing, and probably more frequently than a normal Healthy, Dusty cockatoo would have

not sure if Aloe Vera Juice and water would help this particular bird. But I know it sure does Help my IRN makes her shine after I give her a shower with Aloe Vera Juice water it always looks like some one took golden green glitter and put it all over her

Normal Sprays of just plain water doesn't do this, and I've not noticed the "glitter" effect on any other birds in my house

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just a quick question, is his beak shiney and black or does it appear a little dusty on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.