• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy rehomes talk less!

sierraecho89

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
This is just a theory! I didn't realize I couldn't edit the title after I posted. Sorry!

So four out of our five fids are rehomes; hubby and I have noticed an interesting trend:

All of our rehomes talk a LOT less than their former owners said.

At first, we figured they were over-reporting in order to 'sell' the bird (we didn't need anyone to 'sell' us on their bird, we just wanted to love a bird in need!), but now that it's happened FOUR times, we've started to figure out a trend:

Our rehomes talk/sing less than they used to. Why? They get more attention!

I feel like rescued birds used to talk or sing to get attention; now that they get the attention they crave without 'showing off', they don't do it as often. We've found our birds know more songs or more phrases BEFORE we take them home; they'll show off for awhile, but once they realize we're going to love them the same, they're a lot quieter. :D

Have you noticed a similar trend, or do your rescues talk less like ours do? Thoughts appreciated! :)

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
My adopted CAG can be quite chatty at times, but I've never heard her say most of the phrases her former owner told me that she says. Mostly she likes to beep back at the toaster oven, microwave oven and anything else that beeps or boops. :)

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Hmmm, that's an interesting theory.

My bird has some days where he's shockingly talkative, and some days where I don't hear much at all

But since I watch him on surveillance camera I can see that even days when I think he's quiet, he talks up a storm when he thinks no one's around. I wonder if your birds are closet talkers? Have you ever spied on them?

sierraecho89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
> I wonder if your birds are closet talkers? Have you ever spied on them?

Yes! The quieter we are or the less we're around, the more our Ekkie talks! It's especially weird because he quotes my husband in my husband's voice. xD

The only thing he says consistently is "Baby", because that's what hubby calls me. He'll say "C'mere!" to the shower water (hubby's trick), and then hubby calls for me when it's time to take Louie out and blow dry him (his favorite part).

Apparently he used to yell "SHAY!" because that was the name of the man who used to take care of him (and his wife said it all the time) but he has yet to say it at our house, a year and a half later!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I have noticed they stop saying the things from their former life mostly because they don't hear them anymore and they don't have the same effect in the new environment. Then they start learning new sounds that do work.

sierraecho89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Seraphina
> I have noticed they stop saying the things from their former life mostly because they don't hear
> them anymore and they don't have the same effect in the new environment. Then they start
> learning new sounds that do work.

My birds have learned very few new sounds! Maybe it's just me. :) Our birds seem to get sillier/less talkative.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Jingo (quaker) barely talked while he was at my mother in laws for 3 months late last year, and instead was plucking and not happy.
Now that he is back home with me, he has stopped plucking and talks a lot more again :)

He's definitely happier here, and definitely chatty. BUT I've had him since 3 months old. Bobber (quaker) talks a lot too and he is a rehome, and he talks a fair bit but does what John said - says words from here instead of words from his old homes.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you are encouraging the silliness and not the talking, that makes sense though :)

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
I dunno, there is Milton the genius chatterbox who was a rehome and not advertised as being hugely verbal so I don't think it's a consistent trend.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I dunno, there is Milton the genius chatterbox who was a rehome and not advertised as being hugely verbal so I don't think it's a consistent trend.
Very true, Milton came to us and was said to have a very limited vocabulary....and for the first few years that was the situation. His expansion of our language has only shown itself in the last four years or so. There is no vocabulary from his former owner, as there was in the beginning. He would call for a dog to "c'mere", and woof like another dog...that is gone now.
Milton is a bit reticent to talk to strangers, but will warm up to them the longer he's with them. He does like to flirt with women whom he feels are comfortable with him, though. He will go from nothing to whispering, "I love you", and "Pretty, pretty bird", etc. very quickly with women...along with putting his head on their shoulder and looking into their eyes...:wtf:...nauseating...:)
As for "closet" talking, yes, Milty does jabber to himself, but not as much as you'd think...most of that time, he's whistling and singing (very off-key) I think he likes to hear himself...

msplantladi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
My theory is this..its very scientific ...ready? they talk or do exactly whatever they want, when they want....lol :hehe::lol::lol::lol:
Seriously ...I do agree that if they aren't hearing the phrases they used to those words might fade away. All 9 of mine are re-homes-African Grey was told he knew over 120 words-ya I haven't heard even half that. Blue n Gold Macaw-was told no she has no personality & doesn't talk, after 6 months we have a bird that doesn't shut up and acts silly all the time. I feel just like people they have their own little personalities and their environment plays into it.