• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Perch?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Do any of our vendors sell happy perches or something similar. The Happy Perch is made of a clear pvc tubing with a string of beads inside with end caps to screw on to cage bars or with suction cups. I really like them for door perches. They are cute, flexible enough to bend easily, but stiff enough that they don't sag under the birds weight. Plus they are extra easy to clean. You just wipe them with a damp cloth. Grahamy has had hers for a long time. It is starting to come apart. I wanted to get her another one and see about giving one to each of my other birds.
Unfortunately the manufacturer was hit by flooding and is currently not producing more and My Safe Birdstore is out of stock.

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
Sorry to hear the manufacturer was hit by flooding :-( I'm not quite sure what the end caps look like. Do you have a photo, perhaps? I hope one of the vendors can help!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Do any of our vendors sell happy perches or something similar. The Happy Perch is made of a clear pvc tubing with a string of beads inside with end caps to screw on to cage bars or with suction cups. I really like them for door perches. They are cute, flexible enough to bend easily, but stiff enough that they don't sag under the birds weight. Plus they are extra easy to clean. You just wipe them with a damp cloth. Grahamy has had hers for a long time. It is starting to come apart. I wanted to get her another one and see about giving one to each of my other birds.
Unfortunately the manufacturer was hit by flooding and is currently not producing more and My Safe Birdstore is out of stock.
I tried looking but didn't see any sold anywhere. Maybe contact My Safe Birdstore and ask if they know when they're getting more in?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I tried looking but didn't see any sold anywhere. Maybe contact My Safe Birdstore and ask if they know when they're getting more in?
On My Safe Bird Stores site is where I found out why I couldn't find any. They also state they do not know when they will be getting more in.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Sorry to hear the manufacturer was hit by flooding :-( I'm not quite sure what the end caps look like. Do you have a photo, perhaps? I hope one of the vendors can help!
The end caps look like the ones on rope perches. I can probably make my own using PVC end caps drilling a hole in it and inserting a bolt. Don't know why I didn't think of that sooner.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Wow, I like that! And it's flexible to boot? So cool!

I'm surprised the tubing held up, and for so long. :wideyed:
I have one that is has suction cups and I've been using it for 6 years. It' still going strong.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Speaking personally, I wouldn't use flexible PVC around birds. The jury on it is still out, but there is evidence that it can be toxic to birds: Is PVC Safe for My Bird? - MakeYourOwnBirdToys.com
Good article but upon reading this article (again) I would not have any concerns using the happy perch. Tubing is generally used in medical and food and beverage applications and since there are no exposed ends it unlikely to be chewed. If your bird chews on it or tries to eat it that is entirely different.

What do you think @Matto ?

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Good article but upon reading this article (again) I would not have any concerns using the happy perch. Tubing is generally used in medical and food and beverage applications and since there are no exposed ends it unlikely to be chewed. If your bird chews on it or tries to eat it that is entirely different.

What do you think @Matto ?
I haven't been able to find any recent sources on the issue, so it's quite possible that they have since fixed the problem.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I was visiting Lowe's today and it is actually vinyl tubing not PVC. I picked up a couple different sizes and some food grade end caps. I will try to make some myself. We will see how that goes.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Oh, so you have to choose either the suction cups OR the usual screw cap, is that right? (you don't get the two kinds for the same perch to use it in whichever way you'd like?)
Yes you had to choose screw on or suction cups.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Wow, I like that! And it's flexible to boot? So cool!

I'm surprised the tubing held up, and for so long. :wideyed:

These are very durable. The problem I am having with Grahamy's is the end caps are coming loose. The tubing shows no sign of wear. I just thought she might like a different color. (Or maybe I just wanted a different color). Grahamy also apparently finds it comfortable to perch on, because she uses it constantly.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I can't wait to see how they turn out! :fairy2: Where do you get the end caps?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I got them at Lowe's. I will have to drill a hole in them and put a bolt though and use a couple washers and a wing nut. I still need to get some beads or something to put inside the tubing to make them pretty.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I can’t wait to see the end results.

They look like a good durable perch.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I can’t wait to see the end results.

They look like a good durable perch.

Grahamy has had hers,, her entire life with me. Unfortunately I am lousy with time frames but I am going to guess 6 or 7 years. I have no clue the actual ages of my birds because I can't remember what year I got each of them. Heck I don't even know how old I am without doing the math.

When I get paid Friday I will pick up some beads. Then assembly should be easy.