• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Hut type thing large enough for Macaws?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Hi all,
My Macaw, Madison, LOVES to be inside soft places and it seems they don't make happy huts large enough for Macaws, even though she's kinda small for a Blue and Gold.
I saw the post by Mommy Bird/Debbie in the Amazon section for making your own but I'm terrible at sewing and Madison is great at destroying my terrible sewing...:o:p
I was wondering if anyone has found anything similar to the happy hut that was safe, well made, and would be large enough for my silly little girl :)
She will thank you profusely:hug8: :heart::heart::hug8:
I'll keep looking, just wondering if anyone already had one or a source for one :)

Thanks!

- Sarah

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I know how to make a fairly basic one. Tell me, how is she able to get to the sewn parts? I turn the fabric inside-out so that the stitching is hidden.

I've never made one for a larger bird... I'm sure if I could find the dimensions that other people use, the pattern could be adapted. I have to wonder what people use for the bottom to support the bird's weight. I've always used thin plastic for my wee ones.

Gosh, now you've got me curious! :lol:

**EDIT: TLA carries an extra large size of tent. http://www.trueloveaviary.com/sczsreteexla.html

Last edited:

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Last edited:

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Cool.. I will check it out. As for Madison finding my sewn parts, she will work at it for hours if she knows it's something I made for her her all 'special'.

I think SHE thinks it's her job to 'fix' it for me because, rather than the normal 'I did something bad' look on her face, she always looks so darned proud when she undoes something like that...
Not at all like when she's ... 'oh no, mommy caught me taking all her clothes out of her drawers and putting them in all the water dishes.. I need to go into cute mode and immediately find a place to hide.. little turd :)

- Sarah & Flock

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
you could just go to the fabric store and get the no sew fleece Or even just a fleece blanket (big lots usually have them for like 4 bucks) cut it out her size and use clothes pins at the top and sides of the cage and make a "tent"

thats how my Quaker Billy's is its just 2 pieces of fabric clothes pinned to his cage over top the perch he sleeps on he climbs under it when he goes to bed

aru - I have one that used to belong to an African grey I use it for my Quaker Gumby there is nothing in the bottom its just green soft fuzzy material

its like this only Hunter green and the original way of hanging it is not there any more it gets hung by 2 link a doos (the rings for baby keys/toys)

zoomama

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Have you seen Birdie Bunks? Here is the link: www.sissysewingbasket.com She seems to make them in all sizes, and I bet you could even get one custom-sized. Her fabrics look really cool. Might be worth a call.

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
I worry about birds getting all "nesty" in those things.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ditto. You need to be careful with those kind of things with the larger parrots. It can cause territorial aggression as well as stimulate nesting activities.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

One of the reasons why I don't provide Jollyballs, huts, boxes.... etc. (no dark private quiet places).:hehe: except when it's time to go to sleep.

PerfectlyParrot

Real Name
Kathy
I know I have plenty of shirts that E has chewed holes through in no time flat! I think he would have anything made of material in shreds in short order.

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
I agree and will certainly monitor her closely, but she loves to have a private area, she's always had one just for her, and It doesn't feel right not giving her one.

Uh oh, I'm sorry, I feel a story coming on..)

When she laid her two eggs a few years ago she became very territorial and for the first time in her life, wanted nothing to do with me. If I came near her box, she lunged at me. I understood though, she had 'babies' to protect. I just made sure she had plenty of food and water, read to the other birds where she could see and hear, and after a month she
abandoned the infertile eggs.

I waited a few days and then let her see my hands near them.. I asked if it was OK to say bye bye eggies now and I think she kind-of understood me.

She let me pick them up and then followed me out of the room, down the stairs, through the house, out the deck door, outside, across the deck, down to the grass, across a tiny little puddle-like creek with an itty-bitty bridge I'd built and into the woods. I knelt down next to her next and said bye-bye eggies. She mouthed them a tiny bit and then went off to dig up tufts of grass and fling them into the air, one of her favorite games.

I tossed the eggies far into the woods and let her play for awhile since she hadn't been out in over a month, and then we went back inside.

I'm very happy to report that our relationship returned to it's normal very bonded very loving way. :) Of course, that's just us.. not all birds do that.

For example, I had a male Blue Crowned Conure that I hand raised and had a very loving relationship with. I brought home a female Blue Crown rescue when he was about 7 years old and from that SECOND he wanted nothing to do with me ever again for the rest of his life. My sweet loving little boy
turned downright aggressive whenever I approached. But he was happy with his lady friend and I was happy for him, even if I did miss my little baby bat an awful lot.

Anyway, back to the hide-y holes.. When Madison's cranky or wants some alone time, she retreats off to her private area and stays there quietly for awhile.. (like a little kid hiding in the closet planning the next attack) Sometimes she'll drag a toy up there and just play quietly by herself for a few hours. Sometimes she'll just take a nap. I'm the same way, I like to be left alone (from humans anyway, not animals) I wonder if she picked it up from me :eek:

She usually has a box but until we add one onto the new cage she'll have some sort of huge soft cloth tent to play peek-a-boo in.. her favorite game.

She also loves some nice flat-foot time, so I'm planning to add a big flat platform somewhere in there, made of safe wood. Maybe a big ole hole in the middle with a thick
dowel through the center so she can play fireman.. (she absolutely LOVES to slide down poles)

I have to be careful to leave room for Madison in her new cage, I'm doing way to much shopping..lol.
The other birds will have no room in their cages either.

I've been shopping in the true love aviary site and my shopping cart is filling up, lol.
So far I'm getting a heated perch for Madison and my Amazon, Rocky (Tyler, my Grey already has one he adores)

A cozy hiding spot each for Madison and Rocky. (Tyler doesn't like anything to be in his cage, nor does he seem to like anything softer than a cheap towel)
A Extra large Bungie for Madison, and a Large one For Rocky, Tyler can't handle one with his gimp leg and foot.

I saw this wacky wood perch that looks fun for Madison, I think it probably moves all over the place when you try to climb on it. Just checking up to see what the chain is made of. I can just see her swinging from that by one toe going crazy :laughing12:

I got a dowel perch with a little cloth canopy on the sides that looks like lots of fun. It's too colorful for Rocky but Madison will love it.
I grabbed a bunch of multi branch perches of different sizes to help keep the feeties healthy and I even grabbed a silly little 'coffee table perch' because Madison LOVES standing on top of tiny flat things :)

I can't wait to see her face when she sees the new cage and all the new stuff. Then it'll just be a short time till everyone gets here and they can all have wonderful new toys!

Wow, I can go on.. lol.. sorry.. I'll blame my medicine. It's so nice to be back here with you guys and not stuck in the hospital, ringing a bell, staring at pictures of my birds...:rolleyes:

-Sarah & Flock

Flyte

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sarah
Birdie Binkie? Whats that? Is it one of those big or little plastic pacifier charms? I try to avoid plastic and china-type stuff but I don't know if that's what you meant :confused::confused::confused:

- Sarah & Flock

zoomama

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
check out this site Birdie Bunks

I just ordered one. She has a mccaw sized one, and her fabrics are really pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.