• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Freddy!

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
OK my Freddy has been coming out of his cage regularly each day now, hasn't spent a lot of time out all at once, maybe an hour tops, goes back in the cage, and appears to want a nap! LOL Last night he changed this routine, stayed out a little over two hours and was a mischievous little devil! HAHAHA! FINALLY I think we're starting to meet the real Freddy!! HE IS HYSTERICAL! We have a storage shelf right behind his cage with small cubbies in it and some of my son's favorite things from when he was little along with some pictures of him. Freddy was checking out the pictures, and pushed a small ball on one of the shelves. Perfect! I moved some of my son's things, and replaced them with some of the small toys, balls, and perch I want Freddy to get used to! Really great! Now the new things are out where Freddy can see each one, and maybe Freddy will eventually reach for the new scarey things. He is afraid of ANYTHING NEW OR DIFFERENT> I am beginning to think this is just the way he is. There was a basket sitting on the top of his cage which he chewed the bottom out of. I buy them for him to play with anyway. I set it on its side and he chewed the edge of it and it fell on him, he climbed out of it, and yelled at it! HAHAHA! Joe said "I know Freddy! MEAN basket!" Poor Freddy, I can'timagine what it's like going through life afraid of everything. He's going to really be a riot.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Sounds like Freddy is adjusting well to you and your family. :) He also demonstrates the reservations most 'toos have to new objects placed in their domain. Both of my 'toos had the same thoughts about new things...the new things had to be proven to be safe and not 'too eating monsters before they had anything to do with it...;)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sounds as if Freddy is doing well and getting more and more comfortable. My 'toos are generally afraid of new things, too. Took Cody forever to start playing with her Avian Stainless puzzle bell and that toy is far from large or scary. My red-bellies took to it immediately. :laugh: Took over a year for Keno to intreract with her Goodie Gadget and then she took it apart and now I can't find some of the pieces. As I wrote elsewhere she will not perch on the main perch in her cage. She is fearful of it. Don't get that one at all. It's securely fastened and it's actually the 3rd perch I've tried. First one way too big, second one good size but loose and this one is perfect, IMO, but not in Keno's opinion. :)

I've decided that the 'toos can be weirdos and wusses especially when compared to my other birds (although they are a bit weird, too). :D

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I've decided that the 'toos can be weirdos and wusses especially when compared to my other birds (although they are a bit weird, too)
I think you've discovered an essential truth there...;)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
As I wrote elsewhere she will not perch on the main perch in her cage. She is fearful of it. Don't get that one at all. It's securely fastened and it's actually the 3rd perch I've tried. First one way too big, second one good size but loose and this one is perfect, IMO, but not in Keno's opinion. :)

I've decided that the 'toos can be weirdos and wusses especially when compared to my other birds (although they are a bit weird, too). :D
I feel so bad for your Keno :( is it possible to put the old perch that she liked back in the cage? I know Freddy is afraid of that perch because the color and shape are very different. And I am sure he only has had straight perches. So I get the reason, just think it's wierd.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
@cassiesdad, any more Milty stories?! Looking forward to another episode of Life with Milton lol!
Well, actually I'm about to post about a little interaction on "Cockatoo Causeway" when I get done with looking over the new posts...;)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Well, actually I'm about to post about a little interaction on "Cockatoo Causeway" when I get done with looking over the new posts...;)
Will look for this. I just love reading those. Not sure if it's the way you write it or if Milton is just a riot! But they are fun to read. I'm sure Milton isn't always a riot lol!:smuggrin:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm sure Milton isn't always a riot lol!:smuggrin:
There are times where I'd like to look for recipes for cockatoo stew...but they don't come along that often...;)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
There are times where I'd like to look for recipes for cockatoo stew...but they don't come along that often...;)
Hahaha! You're terrible! :laughin:my absolute favorite was Milton telling your Buddy to use his indoor voice! And the stroll one, that we liked too!
Freddy let us pat him tonight, and he flew around in the room, found a ledge he likes to sit on, and we were able to get him to step up on a perch! He wasn’t interested in a treat, he was chirping and all happy that he did it! He's going to be a busy guy lol!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Tonight Freddy was out of his cage and Joe went to bed. So I used the suggestion of another member here and got a few of his favorite nuts and showed him I was putting them in his bowl. Took 3 attempts but worked like a charm!! Also told him what a good boy he is!!