• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Freddy!

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
:cheer:He did it! He came out a second time and I had the good sense to do it right this time! He played with us, climbed all over the playtop for a couple of hours, then climbed back down into his cage. He was so happy too! He screeched and head bobbed, my husband and I cheered him on which he really loved. I like screeching with him! Lol

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
:hug8: Onward and upward.

We have a good 10 minute everybody in scream fest every night before bedtime. You know? Tradition. :D

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Yeah, Freddy! :yahoo::dancing::cantwait:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Whooo hoooooo Freddy and human flock!!! :birdance::batnana::dance55:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
He's been coming out regularly now. He came out this am when I was at work, and trying to get him to come back out now lol. I love love LOVE to play with this little too! Right now more interested in his blueberries, so happy about that!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
He's been coming out regularly now.
And already now you have experience how positive reinforcement works.
Once you did it right with no demands, he enjoyed his outside cage time.
And you all get happy for that. I say congrats to you all and be proud of yourself for doing it right this time. :wewin:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
He's been coming out regularly now. He came out this am when I was at work, and trying to get him to come back out now lol. I love love LOVE to play with this little too! Right now more interested in his blueberries, so happy about that!
Sounds like blueberries might also make a good incentive for going back in his cage at night? :)
They usually float so whenever we have blueberries, I always toss a few in Buzzard's water dish. :D Sort of a water-foraging opportunity.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
And already now you have experience how positive reinforcement works.
Once you did it right with no demands, he enjoyed his outside cage time.
And you all get happy for that. I say congrats to you all and be proud of yourself for doing it right this time. :wewin:
He's so happy and proud of himself! I love it! Thanks so much for the time and patience to provide your insight, Freddy is so happy and the way we get him back in his cage is head bobbing and screeching lol. Now it's a habit but I think a fun habit lol. My husband started this, Freddy loves my husband! My husband, Joe is a bird lover too!:bliss:

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Sounds like blueberries might also make a good incentive for going back in his cage at night? :)
They usually float so whenever we have blueberries, I always toss a few in Buzzard's water dish. :D Sort of a water-foraging opportunity.
My husband started a head bobbing screeching ritual to get him back in the cage lol. He loves my husband, Joe, who I never realized is a bird lover too! :loveshower:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He's so happy and proud of himself! I love it! Thanks so much for the time and patience to provide your insight, Freddy is so happy and the way we get him back in his cage is head bobbing and screeching lol. Now it's a habit but I think a fun habit lol. My husband started this, Freddy loves my husband! My husband, Joe is a bird lover too!:bliss:
Head bobbing is very powerful non verbal language. They understand body language as well as we understand spoken language. Study and learn his body language. Copy/use it to communicate.

Study his eyes. They tell everything once you know what you're looking at.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Now Joe is watching football and Freddy is not happy lol. I'm waiting for Freddy to come back out and go over to Joe lol. So cute!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We have a good 10 minute everybody in scream fest every night before bedtime. You know? Tradition. :D
So do we...Milton starts it and soon EVERYBODY is in on it...:)

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
So do we...Milton starts it and soon EVERYBODY is in on it...:)
Omg Joe started this activity to get him out of the cage. Joe kneels on the floor in front of the open cage door. Sticks his head at the door, starts bobbing and trying to mimic Freddy. As soon as Freddy sees this he hurries to get in front of Joe, and after a few head bobs Freddy comes out. We'll after Freddy was out for a bit, he did the same thing. Really to see what Freddy would do. Freddy can't resist that! He climbed down back into the cage, over Joe's head :eek: back on the perch to join the screamfest! I was horrified but Joe has learned something about Freddy that I have not yet, and just started trusting the bird. He keeps telling me, trust Freddy, and do what he wants. Freddy snapped at Joe because he walked away to watch tv. He whined and whined, and Joe kept saying "come here Freddy." He wouldn't but sometime he will lol. I'm amazed.

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Fantastic! How funny that must have been! :laugh-bounce: You paint a very amusing picture @Nancy B.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Omg Joe started this activity to get him out of the cage. Joe kneels on the floor in front of the open cage door. Sticks his head at the door, starts bobbing and trying to mimic Freddy. As soon as Freddy sees this he hurries to get in front of Joe, and after a few head bobs Freddy comes out. We'll after Freddy was out for a bit, he did the same thing. Really to see what Freddy would do. Freddy can't resist that! He climbed down back into the cage, over Joe's head :eek: back on the perch to join the screamfest! I was horrified but Joe has learned something about Freddy that I have not yet, and just started trusting the bird. He keeps telling me, trust Freddy, and do what he wants. Freddy snapped at Joe because he walked away to watch tv. He whined and whined, and Joe kept saying "come here Freddy." He wouldn't but sometime he will lol. I'm amazed.
Ok you have to be really careful about this. It does sound like Freddy is beginning (if he already hasn't) to fall/choose Joe. If so Joe will never have the problems you may have with him simply because of that. Joe probably can trust him. You can't. Not yet.

I would implore both of you to please read this article. Some or all of it has a high probability of happening. Knowledge is power.

Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

faislaq

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Ok you have to be really careful about this. It does sound like Freddy is beginning (if he already hasn't) to fall/choose Joe. If so Joe will never have the problems you may have with him simply because of that. Joe probably can trust him. You can't. Not yet.

I would implore both of you to please read this article. Some or all of it has a high probability of happening. Knowledge is power.

I didn't even think about that since there wasn't any contact. :o:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Your honeymoon is going to be a quick one I can tell. Prepare yourself my dear. A storm may be brewing.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Oh yes do not worry, I will read this article, this is something that just happened today, and it's clear Freddy is crazy about Joe but I want him to like all of us. I am careful with Freddy still and cautious. Thanks!!

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy

This is a good article! I will have Joe read it! When Joe did the screamfest, I joined in and cheered them on. Freddy was looking in both our directions and seemed to enjoy we were both engaging. I wonder how Freddy would act if I did a screamfest without Joe. The article suggest any aggression toward another family member be ignored and calmly talk to the bird. When Freddy whined, I spoke to him softly and redirected him because he was sad. According to what I read in the article I think I did the right thing. If it's possible for me to guess correctly lol. Yikes!