• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Happy Found Day to Spee

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It was 10 years ago that I found Spee the house sparrow. He was only @ 1-2 days old so it's not only his "Found Day" but also his bird-day. To celebrate he got some cashew pieces and very small pieces of vanilla cupcake and so did the rest of the flock as well as the dogs (just some cupcake pieces for them). It's always difficult to photograph him because he does not like the camera. He has never been able to perch due to both of his legs being broken as well as nerve damage (fell or was tossed from the nest). He has been having more issues with his feet/legs over the last few months due to some arthritis. He has had the bowl that he is sitting in since the day I found him.

spee 2 7-18.jpg

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:congratualtions:
He is beautiful!

RawPasta

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kelley
Happy found day!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Happy Found Day and Bird Day to you, Handsome Spee! :)

(Milton understands your dislike of cameras ;))

:dance4: :dance4: :dance4: :dance4: :dance4:

:dance4: :dance4: :dance4: :dance4: :dance4:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
You've done so well for Spee. It's heart warming to see the few wildies we've been able to save.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Spee is an amazing little guy and I adore him. I can't believe that I found him a decade ago. It seems that it was only yesterday that I saw a little pink "thing" wriggling on the roadway. Never saw any sparrows on the ground here before that day but since then I've been finding a few on the ground each breeding season but, unfortunately, no longer alive.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
There is one little guy who I can always remember his story! (My memory is not that good), but when I read the heartwarming story of how you found him, and nursed him to health, my heart just melted. Who would have ever thought the precious little sparrow you took in would give you more than a decade of the sweetest love and memories! I love that little boy! :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There is one little guy who I can always remember his story! (My memory is not that good), but when I read the heartwarming story of how you found him, and nursed him to health, my heart just melted. Who would have ever thought the precious little sparrow you took in would give you more than a decade of the sweetest love and memories! I love that little boy! :heart:
If you remember his story your memory seems fine to me. I always feel that he rescued me since I was very depressed after losing one of my beloved red-bellies (my heart bird) and finding him gave me more motivation to pull myself out of it.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
If you remember his story your memory seems fine to me. I always feel that he rescued me since I was very depressed after losing one of my beloved red-bellies (my heart bird) and finding him gave me more motivation to pull myself out of it.

Isn't that something?! I have had a similar experience with other pets. They just seemed to know! One reason I remember Spee's story is that I haven't read many stories about Sparrows at all and them living that long is something I had no idea was possible!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Happy found day to both of you!:bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle:
Their is always a good reason to help others, because that often helps us too in some way.
I'm so happy that Spee made it easier for you after your loss. ♥

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Isn't that something?! I have had a similar experience with other pets. They just seemed to know! One reason I remember Spee's story is that I haven't read many stories about Sparrows at all and them living that long is something I had no idea was possible!

Their lifespans are generally shorter in the wild due to predators, lack of food (although they will eat almost anything) and environmental issues. He is showing his age, though, and is not as agile as he used to be. I've been putting him in his bowl daily so that I am sure he is eating and drinking. His food dishes are next to his resting bowl. He does move around his cage but has difficulty getting into his bowl although yesterday he jumped in on his own.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I've been putting him in his bowl daily so that I am sure he is eating and drinking. His food dishes are next to his resting bowl. He does move around his cage but has difficulty getting into his bowl although yesterday he jumped in on his own.
You are amazing! That is such dedication and love. I will hope that he has an even longer life that we think possible, I hate that he has arthritis, but I think getting older is not for sissies, as they say! :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You are amazing! That is such dedication and love. I will hope that he has an even longer life that we think possible, I hate that he has arthritis, but I think getting older is not for sissies, as they say! :heart:
Agree with you about getting older. :)
I try to remember to give him some tart cherry juice every now and then. It's supposed to help with arthritis.