• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Dance Paco is eating Pellets!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awesome!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds like thing were getting better & better! How's Paco been doing?

Any news on finding work?

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Paco is doing great! I broke my wrist last Thursday, it does not like the splint. Had my 6th job interview last Wednesday, still no job offer.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Paco is doing great! I broke my wrist last Thursday, it does not like the splint. Had my 6th job interview last Wednesday, still no job offer.

I'm glad he's doing well! Oh no about your wrist! How's Paco handling the splint?

Job interviews are always a good thing... Even if it doesn't feel like it....
They give you more practice for the next one!

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Funny you should ask about Paco's reaction, went over like a fart in church. Fluff and growl. Tried to get him up on left arm and had a hard time maneuvering him. Those claws! Think we will put a hold on the step up for now.

Arno

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Arno
@Snowghost

These little buggers totally control our lives. Lol

There is a local South African facebook group i am on and they got a seed junkie recipe on there and I've seen many birds convert to healthy food on it. Some take one day and the longest ive seen so far was almost 2 years but in the end the bird now loves his fresh veggies end fruits.

Its in Afrikaans but i can translate it for you if you want it.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Sure. you can send it my email, teresamcdonnell244@yahoo.com. Paco has made great strides in 5 months. He now eats veggie pasta, squash, carrots, of course 1 day he loves something next day he tosses it. I now mash red or black beans in his sweet potato. Love this guy more every day!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sure. you can send it my email, teresamcdonnell244@yahoo.com. Paco has made great strides in 5 months. He now eats veggie pasta, squash, carrots, of course 1 day he loves something next day he tosses it. I now mash red or black beans in his sweet potato. Love this guy more every day!

Oh I wish Buddy liked S. Potatoes. What a great idea to get the beans in! Most of what we eat is Raw... I wonder if a banana pile would work to cover the bean thing! Still trying here, maybe when I sprout my own beans & ck. peas, :fairy: it'll be easier...

P.S. If you can convince him the brave is the new normal & it will not hurt him. He'd probably jump up on it. But I fear everything, brave & stepping up, is all to new for him for it too work right.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Penny is good with veggies...Just started eating pellets soaked in fruit juice...Got to do what you have to do...LOL

Arno

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Arno
Okay just give me some time but will translate and swnd it to you

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Duh huh, didn't think of putting it here. lol

True Rain, it is trial and error with parrots, 1 day he gobbles something up, the next, no way. I tried shredding, grated, chia seeds..... I do take his bowels out in am and let him get hungry. Rattle bowels, ask him if he wants breakfast and yum yums.

Next question everyone.

What about portion. I know 1 hard boiled no more then once a week.

What about veggie pasta, is it fattening? How often?

I know to watch cucumber and pineapple, its watery. Anything else? Too much sugar? Too many beans....etc.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Duh huh, didn't think of putting it here. lol

True Rain, it is trial and error with parrots, 1 day he gobbles something up, the next, no way. I tried shredding, grated, chia seeds..... I do take his bowels out in am and let him get hungry. Rattle bowels, ask him if he wants breakfast and yum yums.

Next question everyone.

What about portion. I know 1 hard boiled no more then once a week.

What about veggie pasta, is it fattening? How often?

I know to watch cucumber and pineapple, its watery. Anything else? Too much sugar? Too many beans....etc.
Veggie pasta is good, but pasta can be fattening. I would say if he's gaining some weight and needs to I would offer it during the week a few times.

Brown rice is a good made to add too. Cantaloupe if he will eat is another good fruit. Contains alot of water, fiber, potassium and Vit A. Good for digestion and skin, eyes, heart. Birds who can use their feet, like to pick up pieces if you can cut things up the size of your thumbnail.

He's doing so well from the sounds if this! Would love to see some pics of him!

Arno

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Arno
@Snowghost
@BertAllen

Seed junkie mix

To help your parrot learn that other foods taste nice and is good for them you start by steaming fresh vegetables like broccoli, peas, pumpkin etc and mashing it. Then add cooking mix to it also and lastly you add the seeds he is currently eating and stir it well so that they really have to dig in it with their beaks to get to their seeds.

This way they basically get forced to taste other foods and that it tastes nice and wont kill them. :rofl:

Start with a ratio of 80% of its seeds and 20% of the veggies and then each week take away 10% seeds and add 10% more veggies etc.

The cooking mix consists of dried peas, corn, wheat, gort and other healthy seeds.
Its almost like the 4in1 soup mix you can buy at the market.

This particular cooking mix i am using is a local south african product that a lady that owns a parrot rescue makes up and sells specifically for parrots.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thanks Claire, we have come a long way in 5 months. I tried watermelon, no go. Don't know why I didn't think of cantaloupe. H does like his carrots in sticks I found out. Turned his nose up to bananas today and he used to like them, lol. Squash and zucchini last night, nope, radishes, no, leafy greens and chop? No way...sigh. Pics are under Thread, "We need more pics"

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
What are healthy seeds?
I sprinkle in the Tops all in one seed mix to their dry mix with pellets. I will sprinkle in alittle hemp seed, and milk thistle seeds too.

The only other seed they get are what is in a nutriberry or Avi Cake. That's it for seed with mine. Safflower based seed mixes are okay, give a sprinkle.

Sunflower is too
fatty, but a few as treats are okay.

I like to stick to the reds, yellows and blues as a rule of thumb fruit wise and vegetables.

Cantaloupe is a very good fruit for us too. If it's sweet, they tend to like it. I tried Goldenberries yesterday. Sophie didn't seem to like. She likes papaya too. Another good fresh fruit. They can eat the seeds in the middle too.

Last edited: