• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Dance, Paco got in his cage when I said nite nite

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
We are making progress! With a little help of some almonds! Tonight usual routine, close curtain, turn on fan, turn off fish tank, tap the perch, nite nite and I turned around and he is sitting on his perch!

I am one happy bird momma! Grinning like a silly idiot from ear to ear!

He will stay up after dark and chatter more, is this o.k?

My Amazon would scream bloody murder when it was dark, she went to bed at dark and up with the sun each day.

BertAllen

Real Name
Dave
Tinker goes to bed around 8pm. I cover one end where he likes to perch. I tried covering the whole cage at the beginning but he panicked, I presume that was because he was never covered at the breeders and was in a open concept like we are here.
Some days he is quiet and others he talks to himself. He can see and hear the tv but we do turn it down. I hit the sack at 11:30 pm and then the whole area is dark. If you sit long enough you realize it's not as dark as you think with clocks glowing etc.
He sleeps till I get up between 6 and 8pm. If it's at the 8am time he immediately starts peeping and saying come on.

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Interesting to know. I have a blackout curtain in my bedroom, and I put my wallet over the face of the clock. I spent my teenage years in the basement at my parents so I love the pitch black and cool room. I tried to cover him and he got hysterical so no blankie. My Amazon loved it. Each bird is different. I'm just so freakin tickled that this is the first request he understood and he did it. Only a fellow beak freak would understand, my room mate thinks I"ve lost my mind. LOL

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Many congrats! I would be grinning too! Good job!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awesome! Congrats to you!

MC mumbles after I turn out lights. I always wondered if he thinks that will get me to turn the lights back on.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
We have odd Bird hours for Buddy. I know it can mess some Birds up attitude wise. Buddy seems to do very well w/ it. I'm happily surprised by this because when my Dad had him they got up between 4 & 6 am & in bed by 8-9 pm. I know others may disagree & if Buddy didn't nap off & on during the day or had a bad disposition I'd be more concerned.

Now, I do change his hours in the winter & summer so that he can get more sunlight time.

I'm glad that Paco is warming to you & your home! These baby steps & over coming them, feels so great! Enjoy it! In a year or 2, you'll think back to what seemed like such a huge deal & giggle.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
So happy to hear about Paco. Frankie used to sit and chatter away to himself after lights out. I'd say it's a good sign and he is happily settling in. :)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
It is a great mile stone for both of us. I don't mind being patient with him. The poor guy hasn't had a very nice life and I want him to be happy. I admit I am a little envy of pics wit cuddles and head scratches, maybe one day or maybe never. I had a wild caught Amazon that I could never touch but she was my buddy for 25 years. Parrots are awesome companions!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I absolutely love your attitude. I can never understand why some people are so impatient when dealing with birds, then want to get rid of it when it bites them because it's terrified and nervous.
I believe having alot of patience and spending quality time with them builds trust.
I know others will disagree but I have never been bitten by any of my birds because I don't force myself on them and respect their boundaries.
Either that I am extremely lucky lol
(Frankie has bit hubby 4-5 times)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
Thank you Ann. Paco bite once, and chomped twice but that was my fault, I wasn't watching his signals and I invaded his space. I've had birds for 40 years, starting out with parakeets, cockatiels, love birds, someone gave me a bird that ate fruit only and it squirted all over my walls, I had my Amazon for 25 years and now Paco. I never grew up intending to be a beak freak, I just love all animals. Dogs and cats are to hard to keep, landlords don't like them. All of my birds were given to me, people couldn't deal with the mess or the noise. Doesn't bother me. I just love feathers I guess. Are the Macaw's in your photo your birds? Beautiful and soo big!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I figured you knew alot about birds. That was so nice of you to take in so many unwanted birds over the years.
These are my macaws, Frankie and Bebe.
I never shut up about Frankie lol. He's the love of my life :)

Snowghost

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
One can never learn enough about birds. I just never gave it a second thought to take in unwanted birds. I had 9 parakeets at one time. People would just call me up, you want a bird? Bugsy the Amazon was sad. Her owner, was my co-workers husbands bird. They got her at a pet store and left her in her cage alone on the third floor. My friend would chase her off of the kitchen cabinets with a broom!!! When she called me to tell me she would give me the bird I couldn't have been happier. The Love Birds were my neighbors, his mother couldn't stand the noise. People amaze me. Do they honestly think of the cartoon Tweety bird that they sit in their cage looking pretty?

SMDH! Hello Frankie and Bebe. Are they brothers or a mated pair?

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Frankie was my first. Hubby snuck off and got him one night while I was at work. We got Bebe about a year later. She was just 6 months old at the time.
They've gotten real close the last year and a half or so.