• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Happy Birthday, Barney!

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Today, my best friend Barney (a.k.a Boo) turned 14. For a dog his size that is 88 in human years. I have been fortunate to have him with me for 13 years. We met at the local humane society when he was being walked from the quarantine building to what was to be his new pen (he had been "surrendered" five days prior when someone tied him to the gate and left him overnight with a note that read: My name is Barney, my birthday is June 18th and I bark a lot) but fate intervened and he came home with me.

He was 80lbs then (they told me, fully grown but that turned out to be false) and afraid of his own shadow. When I brought him home he climbed onto the dining room table and proceded to lay down. He did not know how to play. The first time he got out off leash he ran straight to the Tim Horton's at the end of the road and "attacked" cars in the drive through for timbits. He was a bit "broken" but then so was I, having just gone through a divorce. We made a pact that we would be there for one another.

Barney is an Anatolian (Turkish) Shepherd and Lab cross and he is 120 lbs of heart. He is a vegetarian due to severe allergies and has been on medication and special foods as long as I have had him. His favourite treat is a big juicy strawberry.

We have had some great adventures and have many cherished stories. He helped raise my niece and nephew and is best friend to Abbey, my 18 year old cat. He continues to astonish my vet who told me years ago that his life expectancy was 10 years max. He has definitely earned the right to spend most of the day now sleeping on the porch.

Love you Boo! ❤

rps20170618_141224_798.jpg

BlueAbyss

Walking the driveway
Oh how I love rescue stories like yours. Thank you for rescuing him. May I wish you many more years of friendship!!
:birthday: Barney Boo!!! :xflove:

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
What a great story! You two are so lucky you came to be in each other's lives :heart: 14 is an astonishing age for such a big guy. Birthday hugs and kisses to him!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Happy Birthday Boo! :bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle::bdaycandle:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:birthday: Boo!!
I'm so glad you and Boo found each other :cake:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard