• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hanicapped Lovebird. Don't know what to do!

Melaniealbert

Moving in
Hi!
I'm new to this
Just signed in today

I'm getting stressed and desperate

I have a beautiful pair of Peachface Lovebirds

Unfortunately the female has had an issue with her spine
Her toes stopped working, that was 3 weeks ago and now her legs have stopped

The vet has recommended putting her down BUT I've done plenty of research and there are plenty of handicapped birds

She's happy and healthy
She's adapted and is eating and drinking

But the situation is completely stressing me out

She isn't tame so it's a real struggle for us

I've made a little cubby out of a tissue box, I put her in there and watch TV in bed and see sits by my head

She's placid and fine but once I put her back in her cage, she's fearful again

I'm trying to tame her, I need lots of advise on that
We've been to the vets and had plenty of medicine so she's quite stressed but I think I've calmed her down a little bit

And I need advise on keeping her without moving legs

Anyone out there with a handicapped bird with paralysed legs
Explain how it works and if it's a happy life

She's in no pain and is healthy it's not fair to put her down

I really want this to work out

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sometimes these spine injuries heal, did the vet discuss steriod shots? I've seen peralyzed birds at the wildlife rescue make a complete recovery. I would get a second opinion, if the vet was so quick to put her down. I also wouldn't put her back in the cage if it scares her, a small carrier or your cubby you made for her should be better. Others will be here soon, and many of us have special birds. They can have a full and happy life. :hug8:

Melaniealbert

Moving in
Thanks for getting back to me
It slightly makes me more confident

But now she's on the bed I can see her closely and she's breathing quite heavly
Is this a really bad sign?

Once I find another avian vet in the area I'll take her and get a second opinion

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Breathing heavy could be a sign of pain, stress or illness. As for the handicap. Give her several platform perches in her cage. and pad the bottom of the cage with a blanket or towel covered with newspaper so if she falls she doesn't get hurt. @Anne & Gang has a handicapped tiel who's legs don't work. She should be on shortly because I linked her.

Melaniealbert

Moving in
I'm preparing a handicapped cage from ideas I found on the Internet to keep her comfortable but I just need to know if she'll be fine once she adapts to the new life and I wanted to hear from others who have had similar bird issues so thank you for linking her in

And also tips to tame her
I've had her 4 years and she's been a happy caged bird
We talk and she likes me around but I need her to be hand tamed not just placid

We just finished an out of the cage session
She waddled frearlessly all around me which is good

But once I put her back she hides and is fearful again
So I feel like it's not going anywhere
But I've got to be patient

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I would take her to a different avian vet for a second opinion and if yo cannot find one, take her back to the first one and when he says to have her put down tell him it is not an option so please tell me whatis wrong withher breathing etc. She may need antibiotics. OUr handicapped tiel does not like to be in his cage either..He is out all day long. I recommend you get some flat surfaces outside of the cage for her to be on..maybe put papers down on the flat cage top or improvise something on a coffee table etc. put readily available food and water out so she has access when she is out. Maxwell only goes in his cage at night or if we go somewhere and that is rarely..he then goes to on e corner and hides..he would rather be out where all the action is.

Melaniealbert

Moving in
I've gotten a cage where the completely front opens

So I'm going to give her that and keep it opened during the day so she knows she can come out and we aren't going to harm her

How does your Tiel go with flying and landing?
Is he used to it?

How does he sit up?

She lies with her head up or down or leans on walls
Today she rolled in poop and started to clean her self
Not a natural way for birds but it was very cute and I think she's adapting just fine 20140625_162036.jpg

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
what a cutie...Maxwell's feet are both paralyzed..his feet are lumps..he cannot perch at al..when he walks, he walks on his elbows, cathunk cathunk..He sits on his butt when he sits down...he is pretty good at flying...which is a huge surprise since part of his wings is also malformed..but his landings were less than stellar at first..now he is good at it. He had a mate as well (unfortunately she passede away) and he even managed to mate..on top of our bookcase there is a big rock..he would go up there with her..get between her and the rock and kind of manoeuver his way to her..we used to sit and cheer him on.

Melaniealbert

Moving in
:joyful: That's great to hear
He's happy and adapted

Now I just need to take her to the vet and make sure she's healthy

And keep trying to tame her
If anyone has any great taming tips that'd be good

But other than that
Thanks guys :hug8:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Food, water and treats should be available on the bottom of the cage within easy reach. I like to put layers of paper towels on the bottom of the cage for my sparrow who also has two non-functional legs. I also have a small bowl lined with paper towels that he can sit in. Have some platforms in the cage for her, on the bottom, that have an angled edge that will be easy for her to pull herself up on. Also agree, that you may want to take her to another vet and have her checked again due to the breathing issue you have noticed. Wishing you and your little lovebird the best.

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
Personally, I would not obsess about 'taming' her so much. If she is going to mend fully or partially, she needs to be stress free and, after four years of been a caged bird, she is placid when she is outside most likely because she is scared (scared birds don't move at all so as not to call attention to themselves). She 'acts' scared in her cage because she feels safer/more comfortable there so she allows herself to show emotion.

I would make her a nice round 'nest' where her abdomen and chest fit perfectly so her shoulders and back are above it and the sides are high enough for her legs not be curled up under her (you want good circulation there so she doesn't get sores and birds legs and feet don't get it that good even when they are in good working condition) I would gently towel her to lift her from it so I can clean it (and her) and just put her back on it after doing some physical therapy on her legs (flexing them and massaging the legs and toes a bit to increase circulation) instead of bringing her with me to the bedroom (away from her familiar environment).

Melaniealbert

Moving in
I've read the amazing story on Charlie
It's good that threw all of that it worked for him

If he was neglected for so long then began to bond, hopfully I can eventually bond to Isabelle

Even though it's not important to tame her
When I give fresh food, water and paper
She stresses
I'd rather she was fine with it

I have a tame indian ring neck called baby
He's my beautiful boy
So when I changed food and paper etc he just happily watches

Id like her to be like that so the simple tasks are stress free