• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Handreared Celestials

KJB

Moving in
Real Name
Ken Brown
Hello
New to the group. I have been breeding quite a few different types of Parakeets over the years and handrearing some of their offspring. I have recently started to breed Celestials and was wondering if any members know which young Celestials make better handreared pets? Male's or female's. Thanks for reading and i'll look forward to any replies.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I feel sure the overwhelming majority will say males, but my favorite ever was a lovely female. She never bit, she flew from her cage to visit us in the office then went back when she got bored. She tucked her head when we asked if she wanted scritches. She was out of cage almost 24/7 because she never got into mischief.

Loved that bird!

Reactions: Ali

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
I don't think there's really much of a difference in terms of how good a pet they make. I tend to prefer males, personally, because I don't want the stress and heartache and complications that are potentials in females laying (unfertilized) eggs, and also because they have a better chance of talking. (I love all my fids whether they talked or not - in fact only one of my two Greys ever talked, of about a dozen birds over the years - but it does add a bit more 'fun'!)

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
I know most prefer boys but all the female parrotlets I have raised have been sweeter. They just seem more affectionate and calm. I like them both though

Linearis

Walking the driveway
Never had a male parrotlet but I have a female parrotlet and although she's a bit nippy (doesn't really lunge though, and she's still pretty young so...), but she's very very sweet. She used to nibble and growl when I would stop giving her scritches but now if I move my hand away she just walks forward and smushes her face against my hand or between my fingers, she's adorable. She also sometimes smushes up against my neck and nibbles my face lightly, and she likes leaning against my hand and falling asleep on my chest when we watch youtube. She follows me around when I get off my bed lol. She seems to not like when I hold my finger above her head but even then she doesn't lunge, just growls and nibbles a bit. When I sit next to her cage she walks over and sits next to me close to the bars, sometimes she'll squish her face against the bars to tell me she wants to join me. I think you can't really go wrong either way... Maybe males are more likely to talk? I don't know. But from what I heard, parrotlets' voices are pretty hard to understand anyway... they don't have the best vocal mimicry.