• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Handling the fids

Which school of thought do you agree with?

• Option #1

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Option #2

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (See comments)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
This is going to sound like a REALLY dumb question, but I gotta ask.

Would it be advisable at some point to occasionally try to catch and handle the fids? Let me explain my logic.

1. The first school of thought is NO, that's a terrible idea. It will cause undue stress, they risk injury, they will become fearful of you, etc.

2. The second school of thought is, now that they are actually starting to become comfortable and trusting, by occasionally catching and handling them, you will condition them to understand that its ok when this happens. That you are not a scary person, and that everything will be ok in the end. Also, by avoiding ever handling them, they will always retain that last barrier. ie, ok to fly to hand, but not ok to be held by hand.

Any thoughts or comments on these two ideas. I see merit in both, but I do not know what is the correct choice. Please note, I am not asking this because I wish to rush the training process. I just want to make sure I am not reinforcing a perpetual barrier. Especially in situations like the other day where I need to handle them for medical purposes.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Personally, I tend to go with the first method, however I do not have experience with taming finches.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Thanks for the reply. Hopefully I will get some more responses on this topic.

BrianB

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only time I catch and handle my finches is to trim nails. I make it as quick as possible and then put them back.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Yeah, I've had bad experiences when I catch and handle my finches. I wouldn't try it...

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hmm. I guess catching and holding has never seemed to improve the next catch/hold. They're always flighty.