• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent HANDFEEDING

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I´m enjoying this thread.

At first I was angry at your friend, and worried about your little bird.

But now, I´m loving watching Milton grow ❤

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awwwwwwwwww He´s doing so well. You did a great job looking after him!
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤

AutumnRain

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
I'm loving all the updates, and I can't get over how cute Milton is! :xflove:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great update and photos. He is beautiful.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Two 8 oz. packages....very nice. Moisten the pellets with some warm water to soften them.

Lbond664

Strolling the yard
He is in the cage! Seems so big. I might cover 3 sides with a towel he isn’t used to seeing outside! The box I had him in was colored. He didn’t seem freaked out he just kind of sat there. There’s metal bars on the bottom should I take that out so it’s still a flat ground for him? I don’t want his poor feet hurting

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would remove the grate as long as there is not a huge gap that he can escape from once you remove that. Put a few layers of paper towels or non pilling fleece on the bottom to pad it. I would use a very very shallow dish or a lid from a bottle. Just put in a tiny bit of water at first.

Lbond664

Strolling the yard
I would remove the grate as long as there is not a huge gap that he can escape from once you remove that. Put a few layers of paper towels or non pilling fleece on the bottom to pad it. I would use a very very shallow dish or a lid from a bottle. Just put in a tiny bit of water at first.
Milton has showed little interest in spoonfeeding today. He had a good meal at 7am and then around 12:30pm offered at 430 and didn’t eat much and just offered again with no interest. But when i was trying to put him down to feed him he flew and attached himself right to my nose! He FLEW! His first time! So since he really isn’t eating his formula right now or bird food what do I do?! Is this a normal thing around the time they fledge?! He’s sitting here chomping in some Cheerios but I’m not sure if he’s actuallt eating them

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
To add to this, I like to dip my finger in the water, almost splashing it, most of my chicks have been very interested in that and come to see what´s going on. At this point I wet my finger and gently poke it in the bird beak so he knows what it is. A bit like Hellen Keller.

Yes, normal for him to be going off food. He´s making the switch. Make sure you have food readily avail. for him in little dishes :)

Lbond664

Strolling the yard
To add to this, I like to dip my finger in the water, almost splashing it, most of my chicks have been very interested in that and come to see what´s going on. At this point I wet my finger and genttly poke it in the bird beak so he knows what it is. A bit like Hellen Keller.

Yes, normal for him to be going off food. He´s making the switch. Make sure you have food readily avail. for him in little dishes :)
He isn’t really showing much interest in the bird food though he loves Cheerios but I’m sure that doesn’t provide the nutrition he needs

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Make sure you are checking his weight. They do drop weight a little when they fledge. Keep offering him formula and a variety of foods he can eat on his own. Sit next to him/near him and eat so you can motivate him to eat his goodies. Eat a few veggies and offer him the veggies. Sort of like the flock having a meal together.
The Cheerios will not be enough for him. Is he picking at pellets or millet?

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He isn’t really showing much interest in the bird food though he loves Cheerios but I’m sure that doesn’t provide the nutrition he needs
Don´t let him fill up on junk.

try this:
Sit next to him/near him and eat so you can motivate him to eat his goodies. Eat a few veggies and offer him the veggies. Sort of like the flock having a meal together.