• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand Training - GCC

Gubs125

Moving in
Real Name
Reece
I have had my Untame green cheek conure for about a month now and he seems to have settled in quite well.
He is out of his cage everyday the whole time I am home and in cage for when I am at work (about 8 hours.) Has a few toys to play with, chew and foraging.

I have been working on trying to get him to be more comfortable with me and have got him to the point where he will happily sit next to me and fly to me to get treats (Nutriberries). I can even hand feed him a treat. Im Very pleased with his progress considering he has never been handled in any way (bad pet shop). And everytime i leave the room he gives a little chirp (hopefully means he likes me :D)

Now I want to try and get him used to hand as he edges away if my hands get too close to him, I can hover a finger near him but he will be a little uncomfortable.

How would be the best way to start training him/ get him used to hands and eventually maybe step up for me.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Same answer as your other thread.

Time and patience. There is no shortcut. It takes a good year to evolve the kind of relationship you're looking for. You're still in the starting blocks.

We do not "tame" our birds. What we do is "earn" their trust and respect over time. Which is what you're doing. Except for the time part (not enough patience).

When you have earned the privilege to do these things, they will happen. On the birds time.

Last edited:

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
Same answer as your other thread.

Time and patience. There is no shortcut. It takes a good year to evolve the kind of relationship you're looking for. You're still in the starting blocks.

We do not "tame" our birds. What we do is "earn" their trust and respect over time. Which is what you're doing. Except for the time part (not enough patience).

When you have earned the privilege to do these things, they will happen. On the birds time.
Couldn’t have been said better.