• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand taming

KellyBean

Meeting neighbors
Hi there, I'm new here. I'm also new to birds. This will be my first. I've decided to get a linnie. It's not been hand raised.
So what are some tips for getting it to tame?
And when do I expect the nippy adolescent stage? How long does that typically last?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey Kelly, I am also new here and wanted to say hello. I have a hand fed 3 month old Linnie so I don't have too much to offer in the way of advice yet. This Linnie section is a little quiet but there are Linnie parents on the board that mostly have multiple birds and post in the general sections. I wish it was more active because I would love to talk specifically about Linnies. I have had many birds in my life and my Linnie is perhaps my favorite. All parrot in this little package. My Gigi is really playful, busy and happy. She is very quiet, a few contact calls to us and outside birds that she hears through the windows, then chirping and muttering to herself often. She does a kiss and come here whistle already so that will be fun if she is a good mimic. She is super interested in everything going on and very friendly to visitors, including my young grandchildren. She doesn't want to step up while in the cage or on top, but happy to when away from the cage. I use a rope perch to get her to me when she stands on the door of the cage, but it takes patience. However I can pet her through the bars of the cage easily. She will hang from the cage wall and I can pet her her belly, neck and beak. She will hang there forever. :)

Also lots of folks say their Linnies love bathing, but so far that's not Gigi's thing. I have offered her a bowl with no luck so I just spray her down a few times a week. She doesn't open her wings or act happy about it. But she doesn't hold a grudge and gets right back into liking me a lot. :). Folks also say Linnies are big eaters and like a wide variety of things. That has not been my experience yet. Gigi was weaned on to pellets and I offer many things to her each day. She enthusiastically eats her pellets and little else.

I hope I've built a solid relationship to weather the possible adolescent stage. We shall see. But so far, so good.

Welcome to the board! Tell us more about you and your Linnie!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Welcome aboard. You've already stated the obvious and that is patience. We do not "tame" birds. That is old school thinking. What we do is "earn" their trust and respect over time with our actions. There is no shortcut. It will take at least a year for you become familiar with all the sides of your bird and probably another year to mould this journey to everyone's satisfaction.

When you reach that level of trust you can expect your bird to "come to you" willingly (and may possibly take that to the extreme and be stuck to you like glue).

Always offer "choice". Always make it rewarding. Never EVER get mad at your bird. Do not "demand" anything. Ask. And reward.

The parrot trust account.

KellyBean

Meeting neighbors
Well thank you for your replies.

I'm thinking that my best bet is to just always talk to it. And maybe start just sticking my hand in the cage and see how it responds. I'd really like to offer a treat on my hand so a positive association is made.

I'm still waiting on my bird. I can't wait!

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
KellyBean & your future linnie

THE .

I HOPE YOU ENJOY THE AVENUE!! WE'RE A BUNCH OF ANIMALS HERE!! HOPE YOU FIT RIGHT IN!!

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
Linnies can be notoriously weird about hands. They have a reputation for loving humans, but hating hands. My old linnie would never step up, but would happily fly to my shoulder and perch there all day, only flying back to her cage for bathroom breaks.

Congrats on your decision to get one. They're delightful.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So funny about the hands. If I put my hand for a step up when Gigi is in or or the cage, she will lean away and refuse, not run or bite, just lean, keeping her feet where they are. Such a polite decline. :) But when she flies and ends up on the floor, then my hand is just fine.