• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand-Taming a Cockatiel?

ashbrightside

Moving in
Real Name
Ashton
I got my first bird, a cockatiel named Buddy, about nine months ago. We found out that though he was advertised as a baby, he’s an adult and at least a few years old. I have no clue of his background, unfortunately. I tried to start hand-taming him early, but he seemed averse to hands, so I thought he would outgrow it as I got to know him better and brushed it off.
Buddy enjoys coming up to the cage when I’m around him, and often sings to me when I talk to him- not to mention angrily screaming for me to come back whenever I’m out of his sight. However, whenever I put my hand up to the cage or in the cage, he hisses and nips at me. I try to move as calmly and gently as possible. I’ve tried hand-feeding him millet, which has helped a little, but he still doesn’t trust me enough to perch on my hand. I’ve managed to gently stroke his beak before, but not without a hiss.
I know some birds hate contact from hands, so the last thing I want to do is make Buddy uncomfortable. However, I really want to be able to have him perch on my hand and to be able to bond with him up close. However, since he doesn’t let people touch him, his wings aren’t clipped, which makes taming all the more harder, since if I let him out of the cage he flies around and avoids me at all costs. Does he like me or am I bothering him? Should I continue to try to get him used to hands, and if so, how?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think you might have been pushing him too fast. Try sitting near him and talking to him and take things slower. I would try and perch train him or try and train him to step on your arm. Maybe see if you can lure him on your arm with millet. You can still have a very close relationship with him that doesn't involve hands. One of my tiels hates hands, but we have a closer relationship than some of my birds that are more hands on. Remember to go at his pace and never force him to do anything he doesn't want to do, or anything that might make him feel nervous.

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
A good rule to go by is this: let the bird come to you/your hand. Let everything happen on his own terms. Even though both of my cockatiels will eargerly step up for the favorite human (for Indy, that's me, for Buckbeak, that's my fiance), I don't ever reach my hand into the cage without 'permission.' (Indy is kind of lazy and asks me to pick him up, but I know this is what he wants by reading his body language. He will also now 'wave' at me when he wants me)(Buckbeak ALWAYS climbs out of the cage on his own). You have to think of the cage as your bird's private bedroom, and so you need to respect that space. It is important that you let the bird come to you. That being said, sitting next to the cage reading to your bird or holding millet will increase the chances of your bird flying over to you.

It may help if you do some target training with your bird. It is a great way of communicating with your bird and asking him to move from point A to point B without ever touching him. You can eventually use it to teach him to step up on your hand. If you would like, I can dig up some videos and links for you.

Just give your bird time, and always go at his own pace.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Should I continue to try to get him used to hands, and if so, how?

Hands are very predatory to all birds. Quit trying to use your hands because they are scary and naturally feared. Offer you forearm/elbow/head/shoulder/knee/stick/perch. Anything but your hand.

I have owned perfectly tame birds their whole life that I "never" ever touched them with my hands.

ashbrightside

Moving in
Real Name
Ashton
tTHANk all of you for your detailed responses. I really do appreciate all the detailed help I’ve gotten already. I’m sure Buddy will be thankful, too, since I’ll be more gentle with getting him used to contact- without my hands this time :)

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Just takes a lot of small steps for the hand fearing tiel. This tiel obviously loves you and wants to be your friend, he is just scared of hands. He could have had some bad experiences in the past.