• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hand fed finch

Milestone

Sprinting down the street
Hello, I was surfing the web and watched a video with the cutest little finches. They were hand fed and tame! I never knew a finch to want to cuddle and receive a head rub but it did. So I fell in love. I would someday in the future like to have a few. But the trouble is finding someone who has a couple. Is there anyone who knows a finch breeder who will do that in Vancouver BC area? Or someone on AA?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So cute :D

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
There are a few finch people & one person flew there handraised ones in from Arabia.
Fetching Finches but they have not been around in awhile but there is some info out there.
I hope lil Saya is OK.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Almost no one hand feeds their finches, as finch chicks are quite fragile and there is a high risk of death. Even if you find someone, I wouldn't buy from there as that's a quite irresponsible breeding practice, and you don't want to support that.

I coparent mine.. offer a few supplementary feedings if needed, and handle them for at least five minutes daily from 10 days to weaned. It makes them a lot calmer, and easier to handle (they will step up) but they really don't like it if I touch their backs. (They peep at me angrily and peck my finger to say, "hands off!" :D). And very few people coparent, so you would probably have to do it yourself... and end up with many more finches than expected.