• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hamster cages

Christine 1978

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
christine
Does anyone have any hamster cages they are not using anymore that they wanna get rid of. My hubby took the kids to town and a lady was selling them outta the back of her car with these tiny cages. He thinks the cages are good enough. I on the other hand no better. Let me know whatcha got. We have 2 hamster that I would like to have a cage for each (no babies here thank you)

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
I have a couple 40 gallons I don't need but we're nowhere near each other :(
What you can do that is affordable is get a couple of these, cut some holes out of the top, add hardware cloth with dollar store zip ties ($50-60 total for both):
Target : Expect More. Pay Less.
or these
or these
Hefty 113-Qt Hi-Rise Clear Latch Box, Teal Sachet Lid and Handles - Walmart.com

Look on craigslist for fish and reptile supplies. 40 gallon breeder tanks are great!

I would also suggest looking up the minimum hamster recommendations from:
https://hamsters-uk.org/content/view/29/
Hamster Housing : The Humane Society of the United States
The UK has higher standards on a lot of things, hamster cage requirements happens to be one of them. Even the HSUS mentions critter cages to be too small as well as 10 gallons but their requirements are still a bit lower than I like.

My hamster stays in one of these with shelving on top for ventilation (I didn't pay $40 for it though):

Not to mention cleaning small cages is a nightmare with the smell. My hamster was in a 40 gallon before and I cleaned once a month. I not sure how often I'll clean the Christmas tree bin but I'm guessing a few times a year with regular spot cleaning.

Aspen bedding works well as is cheap in bulk (I use paper based bedding as I'm allergic to aspen).

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I love the Christmas tree box! Wonder if there are still some on clearance around here. Bin cages are very convienent and lighter than breeder tanks.