• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Half my flock of budgies flew away!

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
I just got a call from someone who thinks they heard my birds in the trees! He said for the past few days he has noticed there are not any birds around (I have noticed that too...I think they know better than we do that a powerful storm is coming). He called at sundown which is the time birds call out to each other as well as sunrise.
He said he did not want to get my hopes up but he had a bird onetime and his heart goes out to me. So I put my cage back out on the porch in hopes they might still be alive. Praying!

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Crossing fingers, toes, and feathers again! Let us know okay? :heart:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Never give up, you never know where they ended up or found a safe place with enough recourses to keep them going. Somebody nay have found and took them in or they went to someone who reminds them of you. Birds have come home after years away when somebody realizes the free bird they found has a family that misses them and is still looking for them. I renew Lurches ad on Craigslist every week just in case he's out there found and living with the family that rescued him. I figure the chance is small but I have no proof he's no longer with us so I do it just in case. Hoping for the best outcome :bluhug:

Serin

Budgies have absolutely no homing instinct and travel far. When I lost one, she covered more than a mile in a couple of minutes, and I was right behind her. I managed to call her down and recollect her, but she would never have found her way back to the house.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How far away from your house did the person hear them? Go to that area in the early morning and again in the evening. Ask if you can put the cage on his property if they were by his house. Record and play your other budgies chirping. :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I put my birds outside in their cage in early dawn this morning to try to attract them. Trying to hope they see me and come flying to me is out of reach because these birds were never tame and had not been with me long enough to form a deep bond. But lessons learned. Now I double lock the cage.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
How far away from your house did the person hear them? Go to that area in the early morning and again in the evening. Ask if you can put the cage on his property if they were by his house. Record and play your other budgies chirping. :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:
He lives in my neighborhood so I do not have to go far to call out to them. But since they were wild and never tame, my best bet is that they hear my budgies and see the open cage for them.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Fingers crossed!