• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Half my flock of budgies flew away!

MahaSarah

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Maha
I agree with Shawna.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know how to attach a youtube video, but there is one by "love of pets." If you google how to catch a budgie, there is the one I watched and others that could give you some ideas. I'm so sorry.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
@meheartbirds - I so agree with Shawna (Mizzely). What if you clipped, and then they somehow got hurt because they could not fly? I think you might feel worse (if possible) than you do now, as the clipping takes away their natural abilities to flee danger. We all learn from our mistakes, hopefully, and my bet is, you will never take them out to the porch again without checking those doors first.
Not only is being held down against their will traumatic, but then someone is going to cut parts of their body (even though it is not physically painful), imagine a giant grabbing us and holding us down and cutting our fingernails, toenails... and doing this at repeated intervals. Terrifying, to say the least. And if you clip only the primaries, they could still escape. They won't get near as much exercise, either.
If you're still afraid you might forget, you could tape a sign on the door going out to the porch saying - DID YOU CHECK LOCKS? Or something similar.
Sending more hugs. :toyou:
Fergus Mom,

After sleeping on it..I have to say I agree with you about not clipping them. The ones left in the cage (exception of the one that was a rescue and doesn't fly as well due to some wing deformity) are young and clipped when I bought them. So I will let them all grow out. How long does that take? They were cut severely.
The budgies who escaped LOVED to fly right over my head as if to say "Catch me if you can" and I could feel the "wind beneath their wings". They truly loved flying and I loved experiencing it too.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
The budgies left in the cage are still in shock. They just sit without making much chatter at all.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
Any news or sightings today? Have you posted on 911 parrot or lost found birds of NC on facebook?

I will spread the word if you can share pics there. Do you have descriptions of the lost birds you can share with me?

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=north carolina lost and found birds parrots

Raleigh-Durham Caged Bird Society - Home | Facebook

ParrotAlert.com - Parrot Alert Lost and Found Birds & Parrots - Home | Facebook
Here are the three I got as 2 month olds before they went into their large cage. The fourth had only one eye and was marine blue..as rescue.

Attachments

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
:sadhug2:I am so sorry, Cynthia. I came back to look for good news!

Just don’t give up. It’s crazy how they show up later. Tell all the neighbors and everyone. When my cockatiel flew away (clipped) I rode my bike slowly and stopped every single car and told them the story. He was found because he hopped onto a guys shoulder who was putting in a garage door a mile from here, and he took the bird to the office with him.

I posted a lost ad on Craigslist, he posted a found ad on FB, and some kind soul made the connection and texted me with the ad. We got our baby back.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
:sadhug2:I am so sorry, Cynthia. I came back to look for good news!

Just don’t give up. It’s crazy how they show up later. Tell all the neighbors and everyone. When my cockatiel flew away (clipped) I rode my bike slowly and stopped every single car and told them the story. He was found because he hopped onto a guys shoulder who was putting in a garage door a mile from here, and he took the bird to the office with him.

I posted a lost ad on Craigslist, he posted a found ad on FB, and some kind soul made the connection and texted me with the ad. We got our baby back.
Finchly..what a story! That is amazing. I am so happy for you!

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
No sightings of the budgies. I took the other cage of budgies out on the porch this morning at 6 am to try to attract them with calls. I have not heard the babies up in the trees at all. We have red tailed hawks that come around, and as loud as they were calling from the trees the day they escaped..even at 5 pm I heard them, it is a good chance that the hawks heard them too.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry they are still out there. I think they tend to get farther and farther away as time goes on, so maybe walk around with your phone playing your other birds calls. Don’t forget to put up a lot of big flyers around the outlying neighborhoods if you haven’t yet, my cockatiel was out for four days and thankfully I got her back. At one point there was a hawk sitting on a stump right under the tree she was in. Don’t give up hope!
:sadhug2:

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Still hoping her for a sighting- or someone finding them! Have you looked on Craigslist?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry. Still hoping that they will return home.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm just heartbroken for you. But we have heard some stories of birds returning after some time so there is still some hope.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I'm just heartbroken for you. But we have heard some stories of birds returning after some time so there is still some hope.
I will keep the cage outside as long as there is hope. I just wish I could hear them in the trees like the first day they flew away Dona. The 4 budgies left in the cage are still in shock...not making cute little happy noises.