• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Half my flock of budgies flew away!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Oh no, I’m so sorry this happened! I hope you get them back!!:fingerscrossed:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
That must be torture to hear them in the trees calling, and not be able to get to them - bless your heart - I am hoping they will be in that cage when you return!

meheartbirds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Cynthia
That must be torture to hear them in the trees calling, and not be able to get to them - bless your heart - I am hoping they will be in that cage when you return!
Yes it IS torture. I am so upset that I apparently left it unlocked! I saw my beautiful Caribe but don't see him anymore. I have decided to bring the others inside before I leave for work. My cockatiel got so upset when I put him in another cage to leave their cage empty hoping they return... so I will bring the others in so that he has company. I will leave their cage empty on the porch with the doors open since they think of that cage as theirs.

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You should have someone check on them if you leave them outside. There are cats and raptors that may get to them, even if in a cage.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
You should have someone check on them if you leave them outside. There are cats and raptors that may get to them, even if in a cage.
I can still hear them and when I whistle, they respond. It is so horrible that they can hear me and yet they won't fly back to their cage.Lady Jane, I will bring my birds in before I leave for work. I do not want another heartache. Thanks.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Best of luck. Tomorrow is another day, possibly go out there as the sun comes up. I am sure they will ne attracted to their pals!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How awful for you. I hope they all return to their cage for some food and water and are sitting in there when you check next.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
How awful for you. I hope they all return to their cage for some food and water and are sitting in there when you check next.
When I left to come to work, my budgies could be heard on the other side of the street in front of my place... which is pretty far from where they started. I am hoping for the best and preparing for the worst.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
don't give up!
they will get more and more hungry and have more incentive to try to come to the cage for food.
:fingerscrossed: good luck

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
I am so sorry and hoping to hear good news from you when I return from work. I think it was good that they were still close by.
I know it is too late to see this before you return from your job, but I think I would want to come home early to bring your budgies back out at sunrise. They will be waking up and hungry and thirsty and maybe a little calmer from the day before.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I got home this morning and none of the budgies came back...the cage is empty. As I left for work last night I heard them in the trees in another area near home but farther away. :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
I am so sorry and hoping to hear good news from you when I return from work. I think it was good that they were still close by.
I know it is too late to see this before you return from your job, but I think I would want to come home early to bring your budgies back out at sunrise. They will be waking up and hungry and thirsty and maybe a little calmer from the day before.
I am not allowed to come home early but I arrived at 8:30 am. NO sign of them. I brought the ones still in the cage out to call for them. Still hoping.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
don't give up!
they will get more and more hungry and have more incentive to try to come to the cage for food.
:fingerscrossed: good luck
I have not heard them this morning and last evening when I went to work they could be heard but in a tree farther away.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
I got home this morning and none of the budgies came back...the cage is empty. As I left for work last night I heard them in the trees in another area near home but farther away. :arghh::arghh::arghh::arghh:

First thing I thought of this morning - well, as others said - don't give up... and maybe put some flyers out around the neighborhood and local shops, etc. In the meantime, hugs and prayers to you.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
First thing I thought of this morning - well, as others said - don't give up... and maybe put some flyers out around the neighborhood and local shops, etc. In the meantime, hugs and prayers to you.
Thank you Fergus Mom! Was so hard to take yesterday ...hearing them...no better today..still hurts.

meheartbirds

Real Name
Cynthia
This brings up a question I keep asking myself..To trim the wings or let them fly...such a hard decision. But I would have them right now if I had them trimmed.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This brings up a question I keep asking myself..To trim the wings or let them fly...such a hard decision. But I would have them right now if I had them trimmed.

Not necessarily. My mother in law lost a clipped cockatiel.

I've lost a bird to the outdoors through a tiny tear in my screen door. She had clipped wings the first year of her life and after seeing how much happier she was with flight, I could not have taken that from her. If I had to go back and do everything again, clipping her would not have been the top of my list. It wasn't her wings that were at fault. It was MY mistake to not fix the screen because I thought it was too small for her to go through.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
@meheartbirds - I so agree with Shawna (Mizzely). What if you clipped, and then they somehow got hurt because they could not fly? I think you might feel worse (if possible) than you do now, as the clipping takes away their natural abilities to flee danger. We all learn from our mistakes, hopefully, and my bet is, you will never take them out to the porch again without checking those doors first.
Not only is being held down against their will traumatic, but then someone is going to cut parts of their body (even though it is not physically painful), imagine a giant grabbing us and holding us down and cutting our fingernails, toenails... and doing this at repeated intervals. Terrifying, to say the least. And if you clip only the primaries, they could still escape. They won't get near as much exercise, either.
If you're still afraid you might forget, you could tape a sign on the door going out to the porch saying - DID YOU CHECK LOCKS? Or something similar.
Sending more hugs. :toyou: