1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Half my flock of budgies flew away!

Discussion in 'Behavior Byway' started by meheartbirds, 9/3/18.

1. meheartbirds

meheartbirds Walking the driveway

Cynthia
    I put my budgies out on the covered porch daily for them to enjoy the outside (in their cages of course). Today I put them there and several minutes later I went to check on them to bring them back in and I could not believe what I saw. Apparently I had not fully locked the doors to the cage and one of the doors was open and three had already flown away and one of my rescues who had only one eye was on the outside of the cage and slipped thru my fingers as i tried to grasp him. I have four more still in the cage (large cage) who I am leaving out there on the porch for a while longer because they are calling to the lost ones. For a while I could hear the budgies calling back in the trees but their voices grew distant till I no longer hear them!
    So devastating! Any suggestions besides have a cage out there? I have a smaller cage I could place in the yard. So sad!

2. CeciliaZ

CeciliaZ Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran

Cecilia
    I'm so sorry. Maybe leave the others who are safely in their cage out on the porch where they can continue to call for the others. I would also place the smaller cage out in the yard - keep the door open. Place some of their favorite foods and treats in it. Continue to watch them and watch for wild birds, cats, etc.

3. Fergus Mom

Fergus Mom Rollerblading along the road

Elly
    @meheartbirds Cynthia - that is devastating, I am so sorry. I am hoping by some miracle they will all return. What kind of doors do you have on their cage? Leave the other empty cage on the porch or the yard - maybe put some millet in there? So sorry.

Shezbug and meheartbirds like this.
  4. Love My Zons

Love My Zons Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran Vendor

Claire
    OMG I am so sorry! Keep the cage secure and keep the remaining out there. They will hear each other's flock calls and they should come back if they are not that far.

Where are you located?

Shezbug, meheartbirds and Fergus Mom like this.
  5. meheartbirds

Cynthia
    Thank you all for your kind thoughts and suggestions. It is so hot outside that I don't want to risk my other budgies and finally brought them in. I am thinking for now to put my cockatiel in with the rest of the budgies as I have done on occasions and they are ok except the cockatiel opened his mouth wide as if to bite them so I am not really comfortable leaving them with him overnite so to use the other large cage to entice them to return.. I have top go to work soon. I have a smaller cage out in the yard. You would think the call of the budgies in the cage would bring them back..but they have not come back and I no longer hear them :( I don't want to endanger the others by leaving them out because it is very hot here. I am in NC

6. meheartbirds

Cynthia
    I decided to take a chance that the budgies would be ok under the shade and took them back out. They started calling and I could hear a budgie in the tree! Praying hard!
    Here is a pic of the lock:

Attached Files:

7. Fergus Mom

Fergus Mom Rollerblading along the road

Elly

I am praying hard with you! I hope when you get home from work you will find a cage with the escapees in there!

Shezbug, Eloy and meheartbirds like this.
  8. Sarah Rose

Sarah Rose Meeting neighbors

Sarah
    Hope they come back :sad1:

Fergus Mom and meheartbirds like this.
  9. meheartbirds

Cynthia
    Should I keep the budgies that are in the cage out all night while I work till 8 am? By the time I leave for work it will have cooled down some. It might be worth the risk. Any thoughts? The budgies are usually in their own room with the door open and they all go back inside the cage at dusk. I would have to put the cockatiel in with them and keep the other large cage next to them with the doors open.

10. meheartbirds

Cynthia
    OMG I can see one of them in the tree calling back! If only I could save him..he is a beauty!

Shezbug, Eloy and Tiel Feathers like this.
  11. Dartman

Dartman Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Terry
    If your OK with it you can try climbing the tree if the budgie trusts you. Bring a favorite treat and something to put him in and maybe a towel to wrap him up in if nothing else. Lurch went to three trees when he escaped, I climbed the first two but the third was too high to get into. If they are OK with flying down put their cage or one they like out with a open door and their food and water in it and they might go back in when they get hungry and thirsty enough.

12. Love My Zons

Love My Zons Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran Vendor

Claire
    Where in NC? I am in NC too and yes, it's disgustingly hot out there. If you can get near the tree put their cage nearby with water and food.

13. meheartbirds

Cynthia
    IM in Raleigh. The porch is covered so there is shade. I just finished putting the budgies in with the cockatiel. I put the now empty cage they usually reside in out on the porch with the doors open. They know how to go in at night time which they always do. I am hoping while I am at work tonight they will go inside their cage and I will hopefully find them there in the morning when I return home.

Shezbug, Fergus Mom and Love My Zons like this.
  14. Love My Zons

Claire
    I'm in Holly Springs. Hopefully they will go back to their place!

Shezbug and Fergus Mom like this.
  15. meheartbirds

Cynthia
    I am in Raleigh.the trees are very close to the porch. I have the now emptied cage they live in there on the porch with the doors open. see my post above to Dartman. And there is no way to climb these huge trees.

Fergus Mom and Love My Zons like this.
  16. meheartbirds

Cynthia
    Yes that is not far from Brier Creek..at least not THAT far lol.

17. meheartbirds

Cynthia
    BTW my budgies are not tame. That is why I purchased a hand raised hand fed cockatiel.

18. MahaSarah

MahaSarah Walking the driveway

Maha
    Good luck with getting your budgies back! Keep us updated. :)

meheartbirds likes this.
  19. meheartbirds

Cynthia
    I will Sarah. I will be here 4 more hours then off to work. I am going to chance leaving my birds outside in order to draw in my budgies! Praying it works.

20. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

So sorry. Don't give up on them, though. If they hear the other budgies they may come back.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)