• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Half Moon Conure

singermanlynne

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynne Singerman
Has anyone have/had a Half Moon? I have a 3 month old little girl and she is SO TINY. I did not know they were the size of a Love Bird. I am worried about her as all my other birds are 3 x her size. If I got her a friend her size ( maybe a male HM ) would she no longer have a bond with me? Anything you have learned about this Teaspoon size parrot I would appreciate!! Thanks

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Half-moons are one of the smallest aratingas.

Size wise, they are little. Lovebirds (depending on type) are approx. 5 to 7 inches, Half-moons get to 9 inches, Green cheeks to 10 inches and Sun conures to 12 inches.

Females are smaller than males and yours is still young. Has she had a vet check?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As for bond, she's 3 months old. Babies love everyone. They don't truly bond until maturity. She may or may not bond with another bird.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would say my half moons are closer in size to the green cheeks. The suns are bigger birds, and louder. The half moons are almost silent in comparison.

singermanlynne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynne Singerman
IMG_2530.JPG View attachment 253455 View attachment 253455 Hi Guys - I weighed her today and she is 64g / I believe the weight at maturity is 70g to 90g - that is tiny. I was expecting her to be Jenday size. She has settled in nicely - she enjoys her food a lot. I have finches so she is getting food as I prepare it for them - tiny chop of fruit and vegetables with a side of chopped almond - sprouted seed and pellets. She sat at the back of my neck in my hair for almost an hour today preening me and finally I think she went to sleep. She makes the cutest sounds and when she wants to be loud she sound like my puppies squicky toy.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Meh, my green cheek never weighed over 55g, while others weigh 90! So its all individual :)

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Green cheeks are supposed to average between 60 and 80g. My Watson was 1 1/2 yrs old and only 59g when I got him. He is now 61g (still slight for a GCC but in the normal range now). Cricket on the other hand was 71g at 1 year and is now a whopping 79g

Both are healthy according tothe vet.

If you are worried you should have a vet check if you haven't already. The internet can be inconsistent but I believe Half-moons realistically average 73 grams. They are much smaller than a Jenday.

singermanlynne

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lynne Singerman
I really thought I did my research but I now realize I "assumed " I understood the size. Turns out it is the smallest of the conures.
She is clipped and my other birds are all so much bigger and have bigger beaks etc. I will not even consider letting her out of her cage with any of them till she is flighted to ( with the clipping she got that could be a year ) and even when she can get away certain of my flock can be aggressive to others when I am in the room. I have always been carefully to keep my flock close in size - I missed this time!

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
My first green cheek was a tiny 54g, at a year and a half old, when I brought her home. With good food and learning to fly, she is now a healthy 64g. Good idea to keep them separated. Let her grow her wings, get her fully vet checked, feed her good, fresh foods, and she will gain a little weight in time.