• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hairdyer/Detergent/Dryer Sheets/Shampoo

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
Hello everyone, I'm back with more questions but I think that this may be the last of them for now!

I had emailed Conair previously and they had told me that they do not use any teflon in their products, but now I'm worried about ionizers. Is this one safe? I wouldn't be using this on him.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...9ea-768a917d5900&pf_rd_r=KA5YDPG9Q7B7TD0DYTNV

Also, I have seen on previous threads that the Seventh Generation Free and Clear laundry detergent is safe, but are their dryer sheets safe as well? The free and clear ones? The Safeway brand has a free and clear dryer sheet that is free of dyes and perfumes, are those okay?

Onto the hair product questions!

Do I need to worry about the scent of my shampoo? He won't be in the bathroom and I'm going to try to not let him on my hair, too.

I often use argan/Moroccan on my hair, is that okay to use still? What about any hair products that are in a spray bottle and not an aerosol can? They have slight scents to them.

Okay, this is my last question, I think...is aluminum foil safe to use if it isn't the nonstick kind?

I'm sorry for the many questions!

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
These are some good questions that I could use too! @Zara (she knows a lot of people to tag)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I use aluminum foil without any issues. I don't use the non-stick kind. You would have to check out what is in those dryer sheets. I don't recommend using any dryer sheets. One of the members here recommended using wool balls in the dryer. I think it might have been @CrazyBirdChick but I might be incorrect. Info on dryer sheets: Dryer Sheets Are Toxic (Here's What to Use Instead) - Dr. Axe

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I use aluminum foil without any issues. I don't use the non-stick kind. You would have to check out what is in those dryer sheets. I don't recommend using any dryer sheets. One of the members here recommended using wool balls in the dryer. I think it might have been @CrazyBirdChick but I might be incorrect. Info on dryer sheets: Dryer Sheets Are Toxic (Here's What to Use Instead) - Dr. Axe
Yes, that was me. I have to admit I don't use them every single time, though I know I should.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I often use argan/Moroccan on my hair, is that okay to use still?
I think this is fine as long as you don´t get any oil directly on the birds feathers.

Do I need to worry about the scent of my shampoo?
No, just be sure to rinse really well to remove all residue.

What about any hair products that are in a spray bottle and not an aerosol can? They have slight scents to them.
If it is something that absorbs into your hair and your birds don´t chew your hair or get product on them, then I think they are ok but don´t use around your birds. Use them in the bathroom or bedroom with the window open and the birds in another room.

I don´t know 100% on any of these. I stopped using sprays etc a long time ago. I do use argan (after shower) and castor oil (before shower) in my hair but it´s only a few drops. I haven´t used any in months however as Adelie chews my hair at night.´

Maybe @saroj12 can help you with those questions :)

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I use a fragrance free shampoo by prescription. Other than that no product in the hair, no dryer sheets, free and clear All detergent. I do use a lemon scented soap but it’s very light.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
All is for work clothes, Mrs Meyers lemon for home clothes

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
Thank you everyone for your help!! I’ll be sure to not buy any dryer sheets and not let Neptune chew on my hair when there’s product on it/keep him out of the bathroom.

Is the hairdryer okay to use?

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
I think some contain Teflon. You will have to check with the manufacturer.
I checked with them and they don’t use any teflon in their products thankfully. Do I need to find one that doesn’t have an ionic feature even if it won’t be used for him?
I know with air purifiers they can’t have it so just wondering if it’s the same with hair dryers.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do I need to find one that doesn’t have an ionic feature
I think so.

I´m not too sure. I was too lazy to look into it so I just got rid of my hairdryer and now my hair dries au natural.
My GHDs lay in a drawer, unused for years :(

NeptuneGCC

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Hannah
I think so.

I´m not too sure. I was too lazy to look into it so I just got rid of my hairdryer and now my hair dries au natural.
My GHDs lay in a drawer, unused for years :(
Alrighty thank you!!
My hairdryer broke so for the past few months I’ve been letting it air dry as well, it takes hours for mine to dry completely. It’s such a hassle sometimes! :(

I looked into it more and had found this thread and it seems they might be okay if it’s ceramic?? I would be using this behind closed doors so hopefully that one will be okay. There isn’t much on this sort of thing that I’ve found so far. Hopefully this will help you out too! Teflon free blow dryers (urgent) | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Norris

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Winston
Alrighty thank you!!
My hairdryer broke so for the past few months I’ve been letting it air dry as well, it takes hours for mine to dry completely. It’s such a hassle sometimes! :(

I looked into it more and had found this thread and it seems they might be okay if it’s ceramic?? I would be using this behind closed doors so hopefully that one will be okay. There isn’t much on this sort of thing that I’ve found so far. Hopefully this will help you out too! Teflon free blow dryers (urgent) | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
I used to let my hair dry naturally for years. But now it's too long (below my shoulders) and thus having a hairdryer is a must for me. As for the teflon you should really ask a manufacturer. You may even check the reviews like this to find out.