• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hair treatments

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
I'm due to get my new WBC baby on the 14th. I was thinking about all the chemicals and things that can harm a bird and wanted to ask here about hair treatments. Specifically brazzilion hair treatment that I'm due to get. That's a pretty powerful conditioning treatment and it's stays in for 4 days before you wash it. Anyone know if this is dangerous to the bird? I can plan to have it done before I get him if necessary but once I have him I'll also need to know for the future. what about hair color and things like hair sprays and things?

Parrotlove

Real Name
Barbie
I'm not sure i've heard of that. Does it have a strong odor??

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Anything to do with powerful chemicals is to be viewed with suspicion for your birds. My view is that if it is harmful to your birds then they will not go near your hair they are not stupid and will act accordingly. Good luck, you have to work out what is more important taking the risk or not?

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
you absolutely need to keep the bird away from that stuff..in fact, I have heard many many bad things about it being bad for humans too.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Depends on the BKT you use. Most have formaldehyde in it which is at high levels. For protection some hairstylists need to wear masks when using it. Because of the Formaldehyde the FDA is looking into this product which doesn't usually come under their jurisdiction. It is not the Keratin that relieves the frizz but the formaldehyde that does.

Now, with you getting a caique the question is it dangerous. Probably. Also caiques are notorious surfers...wet veggie leaves, wet towels AND HAIR surfers. Mine loved surfing in my hair.

If it was a different bird I would still be worried. Many other birds especially ones who bond with their owners are into allopreening....grooming each other. They will groom your hair and if their are chemicals on your hair there is a potential for harm. The greater the chemical the greater the harm.

Good question and you are thinking of this little one.

Peggy

FLmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Linda
Yeah that's what I thought. I'm not going to get it done. I want my birdie to safely surf around up there :hehe: it's nit a huge need anyway. I just liked the way my hair looked last time I did it. But not necessary at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.