• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hahns, amazon, caique and conure owners needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me_n_my_birds

Meeting neighbors
I have decided it is time or me to start looking for the next bird to join my flock, the only problem is, I have no idea what species I am looking for............so.

I know there are a lot of threads about choosing a bird and specific bird personalities, I have read a lot of them but am still left with a few questions that are specific to what I am looking for which are unanswered.

I am wanting to know these things about hahns macaws, blue front amazons, caiques and the less common Aratinga species (not sun or jenday as I already know I will eventually get another sunny),
is yours sociable with other parrots namely conures?, I hope that whichever bird I end up deciding on is able to be friends at some point with Tiko.

is yours a strong flyer? I hear/read that amazons and caiques are not?, Tiko is fully flighted and gets to fly outdoors every day and eventually my new birdy will have the necessary training to join her in her daily arial antics.

Does yours like to cuddle in bed with you or in your jumper?, Tiko loves to climb in my blanket when I'm watching tv in bed and cuddle into me and LOVES to climb into my jumper and just cuddle up sometimes for an hour or more, it know suns, jendays, nandays and the pyrrhura species are like this but what about the birds I am questioning?

I would love to see photos of any birds that are being described if you feel like showing off their beauty as well :-D

heirofslytherin123

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Gabby
I have a Hahns, a sun conure, and soon to be 2 caiques. I also love blue crown conures. There are so many species to choose from of conures. I think the Queen of Bavaria are spectacular also. My Hahns/Noble(still not sure) was buddies to a :gold:. and my Caique Peepers is still a baby, but she wants to be friends with my sun conure lol :) It's up to you but if you start to visit potential birds you might end up with one after the first visit:lol:

Me_n_my_birds

Meeting neighbors
Aww yeah I forgot to mention that I am in australia so uncommon species of Aratinga seem to be limited to half moon conure, blue crown, cherry head and I havnt really seen many more but I'm sure they are around, I would love a mitred conure but havnt even heard of one here for sale before, also due to how rare these birds are here and the increasing number of them and the even more expensive birds being stolen a lot of the people selling them are reluctant to let me "browse" while I find the species for me unfortunately.
I have handled all of these birds before but they were all on their best behavior and didn't scream or act out at all so from my experiences they are all exactly the same lol I didn't really get a to know them from such short interactions like an owner does if you know what I mean

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have decided it is time or me to start looking for the next bird to join my flock, the only problem is, I have no idea what species I am looking for............so.

I know there are a lot of threads about choosing a bird and specific bird personalities, I have read a lot of them but am still left with a few questions that are specific to what I am looking for which are unanswered.

I am wanting to know these things about hahns macaws, blue front amazons, caiques and the less common Aratinga species (not sun or jenday as I already know I will eventually get another sunny),
is yours sociable with other parrots namely conures?, I hope that whichever bird I end up deciding on is able to be friends at some point with Tiko.

is yours a strong flyer? I hear/read that amazons and caiques are not?, Tiko is fully flighted and gets to fly outdoors every day and eventually my new birdy will have the necessary training to join her in her daily arial antics.

Does yours like to cuddle in bed with you or in your jumper?, Tiko loves to climb in my blanket when I'm watching tv in bed and cuddle into me and LOVES to climb into my jumper and just cuddle up sometimes for an hour or more, it know suns, jendays, nandays and the pyrrhura species are like this but what about the birds I am questioning?

I would love to see photos of any birds that are being described if you feel like showing off their beauty as well :-D
I don't know what sort of Amazon you had in mind, but many 'zon species are too large to be considered suitable companions for your conure. Amazons tend to require an owner with a lot of patience and knowledge of hormonal behaviors, as well.

Hahn's macaws can, and frequently do, get along with conures, and that might be your best bet for a possible companion for your current parrot, but it depends on the individual birds in question. Not all birds will get along.

As for the caiques, I know someone on this board who has to keep her caiques separate from her other birds because they are not friendly to other species (understatement), and while some caiques seem to be more easygoing than others, I wouldn't count on an adult caique playing all that well with others.

On cuddliness: any baby bird will probably cuddle with you. Many adults will not. Please keep in mind that birds grow up and lose a lot of that soft, sweet baby quality that causes people to want them in the first place. I have four mini-macaws, all over the age of 2, and none of them are "cuddly." The one I bought as a baby used to be, until he turned about 2 years of age, and then he needed a bird companion.

Last edited:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
I have a Nanday conure and had a Blue Crown. Of the 2, the BCC was quite cuddly, but with the Nanday it's on her terms only. My Nanday does not really like being touched with hands unless it's to rub her beak. She does like when I rub my face on her, and she lets me "pet" her with my nose, lol! She does like to run all over me, and check out my clothes and preen my hair. She also preens my face.

When my BCC died, my Nanday was very depressed. I was offered several amazons and read that amazons like conures if they can't be with other zons. So I brought home a Yellow Crown. He does really like the Nanday, and she likes him, but she is a bit intimidated by his size. They are becoming friends though. So far, the Nanday is the one biting the amazon though and she scares him sometimes, lol! But, we have finally gotten to the point where she isn't biting him, and they have started kissing each other. They definitely like having their cages next to each other and do things all the time to show off to the other.

So yes, conures and amazons can get along. However, you do need to make sure to protect your conure if the amazon shows aggression to it, or just bites to protect itself, as a zon could do serious damage to a conure. My amazon is definitely not aggressive though (he's a big baby really).

The conure and the amazon seem to have pretty similar personalities. My Grey on the other hand, isn't much interested in either of them. Of the two though she has a preference for the conure for whatever reason (smaller? also a girl and not trying to court her?).

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd definitely stay away from a Caique .. they are not known to be friendly to other species .. and it's a risk. I have two, and they do NOT like other birds at all!! They aren't really what I would call cuddly birds either .. they can go thru some pretty difficult hormonal periods as well.

There's going to be a pretty big size difference between a Zon and a conure .. so that can be a huge risk if they don't end up getting along.

You're best bet is going to be another Conure .. or perhaps the Hahn's. Hahn's and conures are closer in size and I think have a better chance of getting along then the other species you've mentioned, aside from another conure.

Best piece of advice ... get a bird for YOU!! Don't count on getting a bird just for another bird, because that can often backfire. You really just have to decide on the species you truly want. If they get along with another .. great, but if not .. that HAS TO BE okay too. You must be prepared for them not getting along and the possibility of separate out of cage time or even separate rooms.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I really don't know all about your specific situation but I do LOOOOOVE my amazon and would LOVE to have another....
that being said...I just don't think I would recommend them to people anymore. ESPECIALLY if you want it to get along with another bird.

My birds get along, but they are roughly the same size, and it was nearly 2-3 years before I even let them out together-so it definately took work and time on my part to get them where they are now.

Good luck in whatever you choose...and dont let my opinion bother you-only YOU know what you truly want and can handle. :)

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Oh and I also wanted to say that neither of my birds are cuddly birds at all. They love to be with me and I stroke them with the side of my face while they are on my shoulder..but forget "cuddling".

Me_n_my_birds

Meeting neighbors
Thank you for your input, I am so sorry for such big gaps between posts but I have been having problems replying to threads, but after much consideration I do believe that I will end up getting a hahns/sun/jenday next followed by an amazon or caique and then I will be working on saving 6-12 thousand for my macaw.:)

Well that is the plan for now:)

Status
Not open for further replies.