• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Had to clip African grey's wings!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellurd

Meeting neighbors
Hello!

I am new to this forum.

My African grey (named Africa-Indiana) is almost three years old and I've had him since he was a baby. I had a grey before (named Orudis) who is now living with my ex-husband. He was a free-flighted bird who gave me no problems. I was always able to scoop him up when it was time to put him in his cage and sometimes he went in of his own accord to eat. He was a handicapped bird. Due to veterinary malpractice one of his legs had to be amputated. I did have problems with Africa-Indiana. He started getting way too "mannish" for my tastes. When I wanted to get him in his cage, he either flew away or bit us. My husband always ended up throwing a jacket over him and scooping him up in it. We no longer were able to take him riding in the car with us because when we tried to get him out of his traveling cage, we were bitten. We decided to clip his wings once again. Since then, he is much easier to handle although he still bites occasionally. My husband was rearranging toys in his cage when the bird charged over, intending to bite. Luckily he got his hand out of the way in time. The bird doesn't always do this though. I'm pretty sure this bird isn't biting out of fear. It seems, he just feels like biting. We're thinking of letting his wings grow and trying again but I feel unsure about his behavior. Do any of you have any ideas?

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
sorry you having this problem. I dont have any advice since I don't have a grey and also none of my birds that I handle are flighted but I'm sure someone knowledgeable will come along soon and offer some good advice

Cupcake

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
~Ann~
Sounds like he may be hormonal - the age seems just about right as does the attitude.

However, he is now probably fearful of going back to his cage b/c of the way it was handled before. Chasing him down and having to cover him and get him back into the cage obviously isn't the most confident way to do it....I understand your fear of being bit and of him being fresh and not wanting to go back in but have you considered stick training him?

That way he will be away from your hands/arms and you can get him back into his cage safely and confidently.

I am still up in the air about clip vs. flighted since I haven't owned a parrot of my own but from what I've read, having them flighted gives them more confidence....but then it also means you have to put in more time to training...

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sounds too young for hormones. He sounds like he dislikes the way he was handled and treated. I recommend researching positive reinforcement and clicker training. I also recommemd Barbara Heidenreich's Parrot Problem Solver. That will be your new best friend :)

Status
Not open for further replies.