• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hachu trying pumpkin!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
That is surprising. Nerd LOVED pumpkin seeds and pumpkins, Lurch was the same, Dobby I don't think has tried them here yet. Nerd and Lurch both would sneak up on our raw pumpkins on the floor and eat holes in them and we'd find them later. One year Nerd ate so many raw pumpkin seeds he later looked like a 2 year old kid with a stomach ache so I sat him beside me and he tried to sleep. Luckily he did get better and no lasting effects. We did ration his raw fresh pumkin seeds after that.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Mine also love pumpkin and seed, so just give him some time.:)

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
So you feed it raw and not cooked? I would like for my BH to try it. I bought a mini pumpkin but was not sure what do do with it. Did you cut it up or give the whole thing?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I cook mine as we eat it together. And they get it in smaller pieces or in a mash with one raw egg.

Reactions: LSA

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Burt loves it either raw or cooked. If I am having some I cook it for us both but for his chop I leave it raw.

jeansie1988

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jeanette
I tried giving it raw... I didn't think to cook it and try that way.

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Sherman likes it cooked and her seeds roasted. It may just be easier for her to eat though.

I never considered it with raw egg. I make scrambled eggs for everybirdie on cage cleaning day. The raw egg doesn't make your girls sick?

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The raw egg doesn't make your girls sick?
No not yet. The reason why I add that egg is because I made mash and normally that contain fat and milk. As parrots are lactose intolerant I add an egg instead, and it taste good. I also spicy with different herbs.
Often I made a mash that both contain pumpkins and carrots. And sometimes also sweet potatoes.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie

No not yet. The reason why I add that egg is because I made mash and normally that contain fat and milk. As parrots are lactose intolerant I add an egg instead, and it taste good. I also spicy with different herbs.
Often I made a mash that both contain pumpkins and carrots. And sometimes also sweet potatoes.

Interesting. My chop would have roasted pumpkin, steamed sweet potatoes and raw carrots without fat or milk, like you said, but I've never added egg.

Over the years, I found my birds LOVE Basil fresh or dried. The budgies and now Chirps love softer roasted pumpkin on the shell because it gives them something to pick against. Since Sherman is my first Pi, I feared maybe there was something I was missing.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Interesting. My chop would have roasted pumpkin, steamed sweet potatoes and raw carrots without fat or milk, like you said, but I've never added egg.
I don't know if you understand that this is my food, and my mash. But as they steal from my plate I always cook so they also can eat it.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
(@Eloy, you were so right about the perch outside Sherman's cage! She's on it looking at the conures playing right now. She also got a parrot ladder for her 6-month-iversary but just looks at it. I think Duchess likes it more than Sherman! :) )

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd took 6 months to decide the first ladder we got him was safe to use and play on. After that the ladder was a favorite thing to chew on and run up and down. When he finally chewed most of the rungs out we had to get him a new one right away but I made sure to get a pvc one so he couldn't destroy the rungs again.

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
So I gave Jade some raw pumpkin over several days which she ignored. Then today, I was roasting a chicken and put the pumpkin in to bake. After cooling, I cut a chunk for her and she dove right in. This was the first time she has tried pumpkin in her 15 yrs.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
This, AGAIN, shows my ignorance. Don't most orange vegetables need to be steamed or roasted before giving them to your birds? I curiously await an answer.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Don't most orange vegetables need to be steamed or roasted before giving them to your birds? I curiously await an answer.
For what reason do you mean?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
After cooling, I cut a chunk for her and she dove right in. This was the first time she has tried pumpkin in her 15 yrs.
Congrats! :) Both mine loves pumpkin seed. But only white and not roasted. And as you can't find "raw" seeds here (you can only find raw pepitas and they don't like them) I have to buy a lot of pumpkins and dry them myself. (yes, slave, slave, slave.. :p )

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
For what reason do you mean?
I'm not sure of your question. Maybe based on the alkaloids??? All I really remember is my breeder, raises conures in TX, always said she roasts or nukes sweet potato and winter squash before feeding her adults and babies. She also drops her carrots in hot orange juice, then after cooling refrigerated them overnight.

This was new to me, so I'm asking y'all. In the past, my babies got all three raw.

Does that help?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The only orange thing I cook is sweet potatoes, and that is because I got sick eating a small raw bite with my parrots.
The reason I got sick was from bacteria in the soil, so not directly from the sweet potato.
And jam you must cook. I know some think jam and sweet potatoes are the same, but they are not.
Beans and chick peas that contain lectin, you also must cook. The same with potatoes.
And if you not sure of the quality of the seeds you sprout, pasteurize them first.