• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hachi's new cage...handi-able (critter nation)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hachi's new cage. I bought mainly because of the doors and the horizontal bar spacing. With her advanced age and for some reason she just won't go back in for water, I needed a way to help her climb and not forget to get drinks. So now where she sits to look out the window, she has to see her food and water. I just need to figure out how to get her a hooking rope when the door is open. There are also openings in the metal that I am just going to maybe hot glue a toy part button over. Hachi isnt very active that I think she would work them off.

cage 2.jpg cage 3.jpg cage 1.jpg cage 4.jpg

Last edited:

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Looks great! Hachi does too :heart:

I see you went with a double unit instead of a single one?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Wow! Lotsa space! Looks nice so far:) Its going to look great once you add a few more birdie accessories! :D

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Looks great! Hachi does too :heart:

I see you went with a double unit instead of a single one?
weeelll...it appears that the add on unit I initially ordered uses the top from the base unit so I had to either pay shipping and restock fee to send back or just buy the bottom and go with the double...sigh. :o:

I switched the trays so there is no hole between the two and I'm using the bottom for storage. At least I don't have to build a stand.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Wow! Lotsa space! Looks nice so far:) Its going to look great once you add a few more birdie accessories! :D
I need to order longer rope and I get so stuck on setting things up because I worry she might get stuck between something. But her other cage was almost full...I didn't think this one was that much bigger! Everything has to stay on one level though so it may always look a little bare.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it very heavy? I'm thinking of perhaps ordering a single unit as a vacation cage. Not sure how portable it is, though.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Almost 60 lbs. I cant imagine lugging it around and putting it together was interesting but the space is good. Oh and order from ferret.com using firefox. Bigger discount using different browsers.

Last edited:

LemonGrass

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What an interesting cage. I like that all the bars are horizontal, spacious too!

bicmeister

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Bichlien
i like the cage and how the door opens....it feels very spacious.
nice purchase!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Well i have to say all those easy to climb bars and she's making me put higher perches. She wants to sleep at the top.

Last edited:

millertammy7

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tammy Miller
That's a nice cage. So much room! I wish I had room and money to buy one like that for my fids!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Update...a little too large for wee ones with heart disease and arthritis. Sometimes smaller is better.

MojoIRN

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sarah
I don't know if it would help but I know where I am a store will make platforms for birds with mobility impairments so they don't need to perch.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
That is a really cool looking cage, so its not working out for her? Hopefully you find the perfect cage for her soon!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
That is a really cool looking cage, so its not working out for her? Hopefully you find the perfect cage for her soon!
She has been in a finch flight cage which is perfect...perches low to the bottom so she can step off but I did buy a quad cage and will try giving her a smaller section and Elvis a smaller section. Letting Bitty have the bottom. He is over 20 but doesn't have the mobility trouble the other do.

I don't know if it would help but I know where I am a store will make platforms for birds with mobility impairments so they don't need to perch.
Aww thank you...she is good now but I wanted to follow up that bigger is not always better. Her perches are very close to the cage bottom and she often just sits under her papers. Her heart disease is end stage so we are just keeping her comfy at this point,

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Awww poor thing. I'm happy she's got you doing all this for her.
She got really bad a bit back. I made an appointment to help her cross over the rainbow...struggled with it so much. Dr. Orosz doubled all her meds and gave me more time and told me I didn't need to do all that crying those few days. Love my vet and I adore this bird and would do anything for her.

cosmolove

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
Chandra,

All I can say is thank you so much for everything you do. So many people give up on their animals when things get tough! I know she appreciates you taking care of her! I wish more people were like you! Thank you again!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Chandra,

All I can say is thank you so much for everything you do. So many people give up on their animals when things get tough! I know she appreciates you taking care of her! I wish more people were like you! Thank you again!
She gives me so much...I love that bird and was almost too afraid to take her because Marie didn't think she would live long four years ago. But elderly cheekie babies seem to be my heart although there will never be another Hachi. Glad to see you back although I have been bad at keeping up. I also have nine fosters from feathered friends of mi and three from a friend who needed some help. It's been over a year and we have only found a few homes for the mass cheekie intake. Singles seem to be much easier to place than pairs which surprises me. And of course I have a few extra troublesome babies...