• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

H3N8 Canine Influenza

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
My DH just called to tell me when he would be done for the evening and mentioned a sign he had passed at a vet's. It said protect your dog from Canine flu. I had never heard of it so I called my vet, who had a tech just call me back. They are seeing outbreaks in southern states at this time. She said, Al, Fl, SC, Ga..etc. They just got in a new vaccine for it at my vets, so I will be taking Heartly for it this Tuesday. It is most prevalent where there is a large number of dogs in a group...puppy parks, taking your dog to the vets, or the kennel, etc. She said they are even seeing it at the Greyhound racetrack..again, where there is a number of dogs present. She said it is "in the air". I am concerned because in my neighborhood there are so many dogs that run loose, and people who do not inoculate or care for their dogs at all.:(
Just thought you might want to at least look into it. The only info I can find is a few months old. But since there is now a vaccine, to me it's better to be safe than sorry.
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/30/health/30flu.html?_r=1&ref=health

10 Things to Know About the H3N8 Dog Flu - Consults Blog - NYTimes.com

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
thanks for the heads up Carole - am right in the middle of the outbreak area

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
Wow, I have 3 dogs, and we walk them around the neighborhood and bring Kiwi in her stroller. I better call my vet and find out more. Thanks for posting!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Hi Patter, Welcome to Avian Avenue!:hug8: You are all welcome. No need to freak out I think, just be aware and check into whether it can affect you.:highfive:

TikisMom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
Honestly dogs just do not get sick the way humans do,
I would not worry about it unless you have a dog with immune system problems.

I saw that here as well, in AL,
the only vaccines my dogs get are rabies, and only because they have to have it done every year, even though it's shown to last between 3 and 7 years.
Vets can be ridiculous.
My dogs go to work with me and to the dog park all the time and never get sick.
I don't even give them bordetella, which guess what, is the equivalent to a cold in humans.

Again like I said, if your dog has immune system problems they may need things like bordetella, but that would be seen in dogs who are young, old, or already sick from other reasons.

The most important thing to a dog is good diet. A high quality kibble or raw diet is your best prevention to sickness. Not over vaccinating!

Sorry things like this drive me crazy. This is why I can never stick with a vet!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

the only vaccines my dogs get are rabies,.

You are entitled to do as you wish. :hug8:I can almost guarantee your dog would not last one year in this state without getting heartworms or distemper.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
By Tikismon - "Vets can be ridiculous."

That is always a possibility. In my experience, both vets that caused my birds extreme issues and were incompetent nincompoops were certified avian vets.

Had it not been for a vet that was alert and dedicated, my G;son and his wife would have lost their beloved Rottweiler. I don't do dogs, but Brutus was lucky to get a vet who saved him from coccidia then roundworms.

You absolutely have to be personally involved in your pets' health care.

Find a good vet and he/she is worth his/her weight in gold. I can only say Dr. Driggers.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Hendryx

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridie
Of course everyone is entitled to do as they wish,but for the actual cost of annual vaccines it is worth it to get them done,why not? just because your dog has never been sick dosn't mean it won't get sick..it's better to be safe than sorry..you wouldn't "not get" your human children the vaccines they need..our "pets" are no differant..jmo..

TikisMom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
You are entitled to do as you wish. :hug8:I can almost guarantee your dog would not last one year in this state without getting heartworms or distemper.

Heartworm pills are not a vaccination.
And I've never heard of problems with distemper in adult dogs.

I live in Alabama, we have the same issues here.

TikisMom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
Of course everyone is entitled to do as they wish,but for the actual cost of annual vaccines it is worth it to get them done,why not? just because your dog has never been sick dosn't mean it won't get sick..it's better to be safe than sorry..you wouldn't "not get" your human children the vaccines they need..our "pets" are no differant..jmo..

There are many reasons not to over vaccinate, and many reasons many vaccinations are just money-getters for these vets.

A few problems with giving all these vaccines include liver problems, auto-immune disease, various cancers, minor AND major allergic reactions, which in very old, or very young dogs is deadly.

I would much rather pay for yearly titer tests and high quality food.

Dogs should never need a parvo shot after their puppy set, and their first yearly either.
Why in the world would vets push so many vaccines?

TikisMom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jessica
Sorry if I come off as rude on the topic, I work with dogs all day and see the awful shape old dogs end up in nowadays, I never remember them looking like this 10 years ago. ugh.:mad:

And the skin problems......eww
That is almost always a direct result of poor diet though.
But why every summer are there more and more and more cases of skin issues in dogs?

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Research is the key for sure so you know the 'what and why for' and can make informed decisions before taking any medical step regarding our beloved animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.