• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gulp! Look what we found Part 3 Happy Update

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Well, hubby got home still with the snake. He had spoken to the RSPCA and they refused to take the snake because it wasn't injured :eek: :confused:. However, they gave him the phone number of a snake person who is also a wildlife carer (rehabilitator) and they had a very good chat. The snake man said that it was fine to release Mr Carpet Snake as there was still sufficient warmth in the ground and that he would find a perfectly good spot for the winter without too much trouble. So, just a kilometre or so past us is an army base with acres and acres of bushland - we often see kangaroos bounding around through the trees. So as it got dark off we set, with snake, torch, and the camera. We found a spot where there is a gate so we would be able to get him under the fence. We found the spot, got him out and :mad: the camera battery was flat.....so the accompanying relatively poor shots were taken on hubby's phone :(. Anyway they are good enough to see him heading off into the bush were hopefully he will live a very comfortable life :D. Oh and hubby estimated he was close to three metres long. I am very, very surprised that I am not missing any of my chooks! And I am very glad he is gone just in time for Gypsy's arrival.
Here he is in the pillow case....
IMG_0393.jpg
decanted....
IMG_0396.jpg
under the fence and away!!:)
IMG_0399.jpg

Taz93

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Wow, ive never seen a wild one with such a large stripe along the back. Amazing. :)

SunUp

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Happy ending, but holy cow...that is one HUGE snake!! :eek:

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
:hehe: Yes we were both a bit taken aback when he stretched out full length to see how long he really was. Part of why I like pythons is they always seem to be very easy going. He had been in the pillow case since last night and when we rolled him out he just took his time and then slowly ambled off.

Taz93 does the stripe signify anything, I mean, is there a reason that it is so long?

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:hehe: Yes we were both a bit taken aback when he stretched out full length to see how long he really was. Part of why I like pythons is they always seem to be very easy going. He had been in the pillow case since last night and when we rolled him out he just took his time and then slowly ambled off.

Taz93 does the stripe signify anything, I mean, is there a reason that it is so long?

The stripe is just something people often selectively breed into their animals as they like the way it looks, means nothing otherwise :) it's the same as breeding certain coat patterns in dogs and cats

So glad you found a place for him, and yes that's what I expected from the RSPCA, no respect for them personally.
Thank you again for taking care of him, means a lot! :hug8:

Taz93

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Not really, but there is a high chance it could of been someone's pet that escaped. Ive only seen high striping in ones that have been line bred for that trait in captivity.

Also its almost breeding season for these guys so hopefully u'll be seeing some little hatchies out and about in the coming months. :)

Too slow, Casey pretty much beat me to it... well sort of lol.

Last edited:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Cool snake :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I have a silly question for you Aussies. How cold does your winter get?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Snake release (Sandra's version)

Hubby: Ok, here we go, let's turn the bugger loose (get's out of truck & walks away)
Hubby: Well, he's just taking his own sweet time, guess he isn't too upset ...
Me: (From truck) Is he gone yet?

He's very handsome and while I'm not afraid of them, I've only held and touched "tame" ones. Wild and that size, I'm afraid you'd have to pry me off the ceiling or roof. ;)

Last edited:

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Depends where you're located :)

In Canberra of the Australian Capital Territory the answer is •••• cold :O at the Dawn Service of ANZAC Day last year it was -4 degrees Celsius!

South Australia around Adelaide where I am isn't too bad...sometimes we get -2 overnight but it isn't often. Days are more like 20 degrees or so.

Can't comment much on the other states personally.

Snakes and Lizards brumate as a result, not hibernate. So they'll wake up for a feed if there's a warm day over winter then go back to their brumating :) (just incase the question was in any way reptile related haha)

Somebirdie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Snake release (Sandra's version)

Hubby: Ok, here we go, let's turn the bugger loose (get's out of truck & walks away)
Hubby: Well, he's just taking his own sweet time, guess he isn't too upset ...
Me: (From truck) Is he gone yet?

He's very handsome and while I'm not afraid of them, I've only held and touched "tame" ones. Wild and that size, I'm afraid you'd have to pry me off the ceiling or roof. ;)

Coastal Carpet pythons are often incredibly placid :) snakes don't tame down like other animals, they are what they are, at the most they might come to see your scent as not being a threat but that's about it, they don't have attachments etc. With that said, if a snake is placid which often comes with size (as there's less likely to be a prey item themselves so don't need to be so edgy), as long as you don't try and touch their head or move over them they're pretty chill.

If one is upset it's pretty obvious and they'll try and slither off well before going for you :)

But hey, in your story, scared or not, you still imagined helping it, and that's the main thing ;) :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
so glad you were able to find a nice spot to release him and thanks for caring so much!

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Hi Mercedez, as Casey said it depends where you are. In Brisbane (Queensland) where I am it can get down to around 6 degrees Celsius but it will warm up as soon as the sun comes up. Where I used to live up north in Cooktown we would complain when it got down to 17 degrees!! Once it got own to 14 and the clothes shop sold completely out of socks :hehe: .

PS. I love your version of snake release too :)

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
:dance4:Wonderful ending to this story. Thanks for sharing. Simply amazing. :heart: