• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Gulp!! Look what we found in the shed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

yvette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Yvette
:eek: OMG
That would freak me out. My hubby is afraid of snakes too!! lol

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
:eek: I don't like snakes but am fine with them being around our property as we do not have any poisonus ones in our area. I still don't like finding them if they are very big. I walked out to the garage one day and laying in front of the door was what I thought was this big rope. Figured someone had it out and forgot to put it away. I was going to pick it up and as I reached down it moved :omg: It was a 4 foot bull snake and believe me I can still run pretty darn fast :p

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
That is so cool! All I ever see are cute little garter snakes...
Come to texas and we can fix that problem....home of copperheads, cotton mouths and we grow 4 of the 5 carnivorous plants! •Welcome to Texas. •:)

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
Looks like you missed out on some good bush tucker there Kathy. Tastes like chicken. Yummo! :)

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
I would have to move.

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Thanks Casey, I was hoping someone who knows their snakes would happen along! I didn't know about the shed skin being bigger than the snake - that is so interesting I always wondered how it works. I did think it was some kind of python, having lived in Cooktown for a long time we are pretty familiar with pythons - although not in the bathroom Audrey :D!!! I think it was better to find the skin without the snake - but I promise that if we do find the snake nothing will happen to it, I am more than happy for it to work as our living, breathing pest control system. I love watching the way they move and they really aren't out to hurt us - and usually will just head off in their quiet way when they are disturbed.
i will try to get a photo if we come across a python with a shiny new skin. I am not sure how long the skin has been there, not too long as it wasn't covered with spider webs like lots of other things in the shed!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
:eek::eek::eek:

Mare

Hit the Road
We have plenty of rattle snakes here where we live. 25 yrs. ago, my husband and I rode our horses down to this property, looking for a house sight and bumped into 3 rattlers. We nick-named it rattlesnake gulch. It took several years, after building and moving in, for the dogs and cats to move the snakes off. We had a Bassett Hound that would get nailed at least once every year, poor guy. He survived every time but was pretty scarred up by the time he was 7 yrs. old.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Come to texas and we can fix that problem....home of copperheads, cotton mouths and we grow 4 of the 5 carnivorous plants! •Welcome to Texas. •:)
Oh, no thanks. That's okay. I like living in an area practically devoid of all things venomous or poisonous. But pictures of potentially dangerous animals, bugs, and plants are great! Pictures can't hurt me. :hehe:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:omg::eek:

Valvaren

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Dee
Awesome find, I'd guess the snake to be closer to 6 ish feet give or take, as the owner of six I've seen a lot of sheds. I realize 6 feet sounds scary to some but I have a 5 foot boy who is sweet as can be and can still fit in my hand and I have average hands for a girl. If you find him or her be sure to get some pics!

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
I would definitely be scared of the copperheads! But doesn't a cotton mouth just sound like it should be cute and cuddly and gentle? I am picturing something with a cotton ball kind of mouth:hehe:

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
We have plenty of rattle snakes here where we live. 25 yrs. ago, my husband and I rode our horses down to this property, looking for a house sight and bumped into 3 rattlers. We nick-named it rattlesnake gulch. It took several years, after building and moving in, for the dogs and cats to move the snakes off. We had a Bassett Hound that would get nailed at least once every year, poor guy. He survived every time but was pretty scarred up by the time he was 7 yrs. old.
I have only seen rattlesnakes on TV (mostly cowboy shows :D) but I would be terrified of them - I would take my python over your rattlesnakes any day!! I imagine that they are a little like the death adders we used to get up north - they lay in wait and didn't run off like most other snakes. Of course, they weren't lying in wait for humans, but something a little more manageable like a native rat or mouse, but if you happened to stand on one (which thank goodness I never did) they would give you a very nasty bite.
I lived in New Zealand for a couple of years and it was a wonderful feeling being able to tramp through any kind of terrain knowing there was nothing nasty waiting to nip you!!

juliashmulia

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julia
Awesome! I love snakes.

Kolas mum

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
Awesome find, I'd guess the snake to be closer to 6 ish feet give or take, as the owner of six I've seen a lot of sheds. I realize 6 feet sounds scary to some but I have a 5 foot boy who is sweet as can be and can still fit in my hand and I have average hands for a girl. If you find him or her be sure to get some pics!
Apologies, I don't know how to reply to multiple posts in one reply:confused:. I agree with you, pythons are rather lovely - to look at and to watch. I have never kept one, but know someone who did and I loved handling him - they are so smooth and supple and with the big ones you can feel the amazing strength hey have. I promise to take pics if we find the owner of the skin! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.