• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grrr...

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I just gave Annie a nice dinner of Fall chop and took the opportunity to remove her MPBT corkscrew skewer to refill it. After all, I only gave it to her YESTERDAY. While I was reaching in and unscrewing the c link, the rotten little hag applied a pressure squeeze to the base of my thumb, right on the bone. I can see a blood vessel she crimped just under the skin. I'm downstairs in my icy dungeon cooling off, literally, talking myself out of letting her play in the snow! But, I'll refill her toy and give it to her with a smile...but NO PINE NUTS. All part of living with macaws.

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I am sorry she bit you. Hope the injury heals quickly.

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Awww so sorry the sweet Annie was very naughty. Hope it isn't too painful. :sour:

I asked my mother this evening on the phone if it was a full moon! Ella dumped her dinner for the first time and is being an OMG brat not sure what going on... I informed her no almonds for treats later that she normally receives. Brut my sweet lovely big old bear dog is also whiney he never whines complains nothing, he is this evening. :huh:

The littles they are being so good, thank goodness.;)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Super moon last night and the night before - so you could blame it on the moon ... and werewolves ... or vampires

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Ouch

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Wow - I guess I'm lucky. Mine just stare at me (or make a getaway out of the cage) when I put new things in their cages or take things out.
They bite between the bars sometimes but if the door is open...I'm pretty safe.

Sorry you got bit. Mine have been pretty vocal the last few days but, I have new neighbors and it was past bedtime one night.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Wasn't really a bite, really a squeeze. But it hurt.

Fritzgerald16

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Jenelle
Fritz did the same thing to me last year, I had nerve damage on the inside of my thumb for like 3 months and it hurt so bad! Those crushing bites are horrible! I'm sorry she got you :(

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I handle all mine and whisper "gentle" when Daffer gives the scarlet love pinches ( more annoying than painful) when excited, I often yell when Harry boy gets me with a surprise squeeze on a step-up, thinking he's going to bed; and try to calm Annie the gentle giant (my a$$) down when she gets worked up wrestling on my chest. "All of these foot toys are great, but hands are better," rockets through her one-track velociraptor brain.

The only "real" bites I've had have been from Morgan when she's hormonal. Mine know boundaries but push them, as do all parrots.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I got my first and worst bite when Buzzard and I were first learning each other. I was walking him through the apartment, taking him whichever way he leaned. He leaned really far towards the box of pizza we had on the counter from lunch. It had a busy red and white pattern & I thought he just wanted to see it so I took him over. That bugger hopped off my arm and began shredding the cardboard -with pizza still in it! :jawdrop1: I knew enough not to try to scoop him up like I would one of the green cheeks, but I thought that since he was so good at stepping up he would again. I put my arm out and *chomp* right around my whole forearm! He pressed-pressed-pressed his bottom beak into the underside of my arm. I was more shocked than hurt. Then he released my arm right away and went back to the pizza box. I turned out the lights and left the room. I watched him from around the corner and he stopped immediately and put his foot up for me to come get him. he stepped up like nothing happened and we continued our walk through the apartment.
:faint: By the next day I had about a 1/4" high welt on either side of my arm. It didn't even bruise for the first few days & was tender for more than a week! That was my first, clear illustration of "their time, not my time".

I just gave Annie a nice dinner of Fall chop and took the opportunity to remove her MPBT corkscrew skewer to refill it. After all, I only gave it to her YESTERDAY. While I was reaching in and unscrewing the c link, the rotten little hag applied a pressure squeeze to the base of my thumb, right on the bone. I can see a blood vessel she crimped just under the skin. I'm downstairs in my icy dungeon cooling off, literally, talking myself out of letting her play in the snow! But, I'll refill her toy and give it to her with a smile...but NO PINE NUTS. All part of living with macaws.
I was lucky my lesson wasn't right on the bone. I can't imagine the sharpness of your pain! :sadhug2:And it makes it so much worse because you were doing something nice for her. I hope your thumb is feeling better and you don't end up with any numbness from it.

I am a horrible person for laughing at your descriptions. :embarassed: "Rotten little hag" and "icy dungeon" tickled me and I confess I laughed at the awful idea of "letting her play in the snow" after it sunk in what that meant. (One member brought snow inside for their birds to play in, so I thought that was a nice thing until I realized you meant outside.) :facepalm:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
She manages to be an angel and a hellion, often simultaneously. I'm sure our time together will be smooth sailing...in a decade or so. ;)