• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Growling caique

skip51

Meeting neighbors
Our black-capped Caigue has been doing a lot of growling today. He has been eating well, but seems to be distracted and making growling sounds. Anyone know what this might be about?

Skip

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
What is the rest of his body language saying when he growls?

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:greet5: & :welave:

I'm not much help w/ your little guy, but a video of what he's doing may help! I'm not sure if you're new to birds or not, so I'll explain a little why Fuzzy & I are asking, questions...

Body language is sometimes more important than what they are verbally saying or doing. Sometimes together the 2 things may tell us a bigger story :) We're here for ya'!

How To: Post a Picture / Video | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Tim

Avenue Veteran
I’d love to have video of the sound, but I know how hard that is! The “growling” sound that my caiques make is usually a happy sound, like they see something they like, or I put in a treat that they really like.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh it’s that little drrrr drrrr sound! Right?

It’s a happy sound. I call it purring.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Our black-capped Caigue has been doing a lot of growling today. He has been eating well, but seems to be distracted and making growling sounds. Anyone know what this might be about?

Skip
Distracted? pacing? growling?
stand well back.... check for quick exits? lol

Sitting happily with a piece of walnut, growling? that's happy

Like with your partner......its all in the body language

skip51

Meeting neighbors
He was just sitting on the top of the door (it was open); not quite sitting straight up. He had been slightly less active the previous day also. We got in to see our avian vet the next day. The dr gave him a thorough exam, and thought it sounded like it might have been gastro distress of some sort -- took a blood sample and sent it out. He told us to put Sir Calahad on a strict pellet diet for a week or two and see if that helped. We had been giving him some vegetables at supper time - a mix of vegetables. He gave us a probiotic to give Sir Calahad, once a day for 3 days, then once or twice a wk for maintanence. Blood work came back with a slightly low potassium level (he had a lower level 6 months ago when his yearly blood work was done - so it had improved slightly). After a week, Sir Calahad was more active - more like his normal self. Now, after 2 weeks, he seems to be his old self. Talked to the vet, and he suggested adding just one of the vegetables for a week to 10 days and see how he reacts.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
How odd, but good for you getting right on it. Glad he’s doing better.

skip51

Meeting neighbors
Thanks. He still seems to ocassionally have a bit more saliva present than normal. But the vet said that could be from the gastro distress. We will be taking him back in another week for a 4-wk checkup.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like @finchly , I'm glad you were on top of things & working under the guidance of a vet. Our fids don't often let us know that they're not feeling well. I'm glad w/ the outcome of something internal, he let you know. Often they don't & w/ the smaller birds this can go from an issue to no nutrition & really bad catastrophic things in a matter of a few days. Please keep us updated :gbh: