• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

growling and biting questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

poplrhill

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
Starting a new thread here, since I have some questions related the the "how do you tell what an ekkie is thinking" thread, but didn't want to hijack it.

How do you know when your ekkie is about to bite? Forrest has never bitten anyone, or even tried to, at least as far as I can tell. He growls and pins his eyes, but he does it in play (I was really glad that you posted in the other thread that some ekkies growl when they play, Marie) and I'm not sure if I could tell the difference b/n ferocious play, and being seriously about to bite.

I'm confident that when he growls and lunges now it's because he wants to play -- "I'm going to get that bird" is one of his favorite games, and he will often stretch and lean way over from his wingdow seat or a playstand and growl at me to get me to start playing it with him. Even when he gets really torqued up while we're playing, he never bites --- sometimes he'll put his beak on my fingers, but it is so incredibly gentle that it's obvious that he's in play mode, no matter how fierce he looks.

Will he stop playing like this as he matures, so that when he's grown up the growling will really mean cut it out? I know no one has a crystal ball, but any predictions or examples of similar behaviors with your own birds would be welcomed. I don't want to miss signals of aggression and put the poor guy in a position where he feels he really has to chomp me to get his point across.

Best,
Lisa
& Forrest :ekkiem:
& Kiwi :sun:, DNA female

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Ruby plays like that sometimes, the cute growling and lunging and coming back for more. From my experience there would be a big difference in Forrest's demeanor if he was serious and not playing. With Ruby she would stiffen and it would be easy to see the difference in her attitude. When I had an ekkie boy it was easy to tell he was mad because he'd run to the back of the cage and not come to me till he was ready. :lol:My point is if you get to know your ekkie you will eventually know his particular signs. Some will stiffen and then lunge and bite right away, some will give a warning lunge but won't bite unless you don't back off, some will push you away and if you don't stop you'll get bit. Some will get as far away from you as possible and if you pursue them you'll get bit. Some will scream at you first. And then you'll see those like Ruby who never bites me but it doesn't mean she doesn't get upset with me and wants me to leave her alone. I respect that and won't take her non-aggression as licence to push past her comfort zone. If you respect Forrest now while he's young he'll teach you his signs easily and by the time he's an adult there'll be no confusion. You may make some mistakes in judgement when he hits puberty and the hormones kick in but you'll both learn how to handle the changes as long as you stay sensitive to how he responds to you. Pay attention and he'll let you know what he wants you to do. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.