• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

"ground work" - brainstorming please

Poofypuffin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ásrún
So I have a special needs bird that I'm planning on building a cage for.

He's a rescue that we've been keeping him in a temporary set up inside as we were always planning to release, him but as things turn out he is blind and his vision does not seem to be returning.

So we want to build an outdoor enclosure.

The bird in question is a seabird, a puffin to be exact and we want him to have access to water. he also doesn't fly so there doesn't need to be great height but I want to keep him at a level. Which is why we're planning on using a dining table for the enclosure.

I've talked to my brother in law who is a carpenter and will help us fix a sink in the table that can be filled up or emptied as needed. I'm also going to ask him to make a small hole like house for him and we might put some rocks in there as well.

What I'm mainly wondering about is what kind of "ground" can I put in place?

Inside we've had him on towels that we change once per day but I'm hoping for something that wouldn't need to be cleaned more than once a week *hopeful*

I don't think gravel would be a good idea as he might just hurt himself running blind in that. Continuing usage of towels would also probably just be messy as it can rain a lot here during the summers and he'd just get soggy.

Any ideas?

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
I suggest maybe using sand, but I have 0 experiences with sea birds and birds who lost their sight. My birds enjoy sand but the only problem is they may eat it. Maybe tile or stone?

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
That's a tough one... the only thing I can think of is tile maybe you'll be able to hose it off? Maybe grass since it would be outside. I'm not sure how that would work thou....

Could you please give the dimensions of how big the cage will be? Maybe @JLcribber will have some better ideas for you. He's very handy :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Put some grass in there.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Can you tell if he is totally blind?

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Puffins are mostly cliff perching birds right?
So are falcons and in falconry, cork or Astroturf covered block perches tend to be the standard. Astroturf would probably be pretty easy to hose off for cleaning and would last awhile outdoors, too. Of course, I think you would want to provide some choice of surfaces... maybe also offer an actual rock and a towel in there as well and see what he chooses.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Puffins are mostly cliff perching birds right?
So are falcons and in falconry, cork or Astroturf covered block perches tend to be the standard. Astroturf would probably be pretty easy to hose off for cleaning and would last awhile outdoors, too. Of course, I think you would want to provide some choice of surfaces... maybe also offer an actual rock and a towel in there as well and see what he chooses.
I was thinking AstroTurf as well.

Poofypuffin

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ásrún
Thanks guys for all the suggestions! We're going over our options :)

Can you tell if he is totally blind?
Judging from his behavior he seems as blind as a bat :/
He keeps bumping into things, shows no reaction or interest to things moving around his head and eyes and when we're feeding him he has a hard time locating the food etc.

WendyN

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
....then everything should be on the same level.
And The only way he can get into a tub of water is if you put him in?

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Fake rocks are hollow and lightweight ... how about a enclosed habitat of sorts, artificial turf a large fake rock and possibly a chicken coop for shelter, there are some really nice coops . Enclosure could be a outdoor kennel . You would have to dig a trench around the enclosure and fill with brick or rocks and back fill with dirt, to keep out predators. Raccoons are dexterous and simply reach between the bar spacing and shred the poor creature . For added safety wrap the interior with chicken wire. Dog kennel tops need to be secure with a solid secure roofing of some kind.

Last edited: