• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grooming/allopreening

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
To me this is one of the more enjoyable practices with owning a parrot.

I do enjoy grooming feathers by removing the keratin sheaths as needed. I have been missing that some. Ben lets me groom some of his feathers but he is good about doing that him self. Ricky remains hands off. Then there is Savannah...what a sweetheart she is. She loves nothing better than to be groomed and one cannot walk by her without her throwing her head down to get a few scritches. She loves being on my shoulder and just keeping me company. Of course I put her on her play stand so she would eat/drink and be a bit more independent. I really enjoying the companionship and just keeping each other company.

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I agree 100%. When Sunny is cuddly, those are the best times. The new rehomed cockatiels are just now deciding to come around for human attention. Pogi and Romeo want their crest played with, but are still hand shy, so it is tickle their crest and then they push me away. Makes me laugh. Oscar ARB is just now thinking of wanting personal attention, but can't quite trust... I figure within three months he wil be at the 'touch me' stage.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Who's Savannah? The Catalina? =D

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I also enjoy preening my birds. Sticking my nose and head up into their feathers, too.

:heart:

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
Who's Savannah? The Catalina? =D
Savannah Is her new baby she brought home the other day! The one we are all eagerly awaiting pictures of!

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
She is a RLA Such a petite little girl compared to my usual large macaws even the ekkie girl.

Mercedez, I did not get the macaw for a few reasons. He had been a one person bird and I thought he be happier staying that way.

Savannah is just the cutest bird. She is a true rescue but I don't have all the infor. The store I got her from does a fair amount of rescue/rehome birds. I get my bird supplies there. OMG, she is such a love. At the store she would go and hide in the corner of her cage. One of the rescue team members took her in but he felt she would do better with women. Then I came along. It's one of those situations that is just right. She is as snuggley as any too I have ever met.

Of course she needed more toys (she got to keep what was in her cage also). She also needed her own playstand LOL. I got a table top stand which fits on the raised bar/counter by the dining area. Dogs can't reach there but more important it is an area Ben can't climb to. She is a little bit protected there so that suits her shy personality.

She did not eat much yesterday, and dropping small and dry. Was watching her today and thought she may need to go to the vet tomorrow. WELLLLLLL, she has started eating and pigging out. I put the food on the floor of her playstand instead of the bowl and that got her started. She is eating again! and she is finally drinking that I could see. Whew. I have not seen her playing with toys yet but she does climb all over her play stand.

I am working this whole weekend which starts my 7 days on. I have taken some pictures and then will sit down figuring how to send them. I have never even downloaded apps before. Also I can't remember my password I have with google so will have to think about that. But.............I am going to try so I can share pictures.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Awww!!! She sounds amazing! I miss having Pua my RLA. :heart: :heart: :heart:

I look forward to your future posts about her. :heart:

MyAussieFriends

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
Einstein and Kiwi could both just snuggle and receive scritches ALL day long. Actually, I have in fact spent entire days just snuggling them :p