• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greys and sleeping box?

SterlingSL

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Steve
We're thinking about going cage-less. The only time I will have need of a cage is for sleeping. That's a lot of wasted space just for sleeping. Is it possible that Greys will sleep in a smaller box, I'm thinking mounted in a corner at ceiling level? I need to keep our girl contained because I don't want her spooking in the middle of the night and taking off into the dark in her room. Ever hear of this?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Can't you just make a safe corner for her with some thicker curtains that goes from the roof to the floor.
Dark curtains on all side but light/transparent on one so she can see when you enter the room so that doesn't spook here.
And also use a blue LED night lamp so it's not totally dark.

Laced

Strolling the yard
Wouldn't it be a good idea to keep putting her in a cage at night, if for no other reason then so she would be used to it in case you have to cage her for some reason?

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I would keep the cage as a place she can go to play and just have a house even if you always leave it open. We have three Amazons now who are not caged but we have a few cages around the first floor that are always open so they have access to food that can't get thrown on the floor and toys that are hung there. They go in and out as they please.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
I did cage list with all my bag parents but had a cage just in case I left for the day needed them separated or I had other people that were coming in to take care of them and sometimes at night.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My Jasper sleeps in a wire dog crate for health reasons. She took to it quite quickly and now isnsists on being put into her crate at night, I have it on a talbe in her aviary and when she is ready to go to bed she goes over and sits on it.

Sleep Cage_02.JPG

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I would love it if my birdies went to bed on their own! Only my parrotlets are okay with this. My budgie and lovebird both argue with me for 20 minutes about it before going in, no matter the time. : )

I always worry about emergencies. If there were one, can I grab my pets easily in the middle of the night and run? We know our dogs and chickens would follow us but our little ones we worry. We put them in the evenings in case we. have to run out of the house in a hurry. Yes...I plan for everything.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I would also agree with some sort of a cage for her at night. Even if you don't shut it. That will give her a safe place to go. It will also help in the case of an emergency so you can grab her and go.