• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Grey in awful shape, advice please?

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Not my bird. I repeat, not my bird! I was called by a family friend, she had been given a grey and she seemed upset. I got there and was... Shocked. The story was an elderly lady no longer could care for the bird. Supposedly Samantha was 16 and at one time a breeder. She came in a nasty, poopy cardboard box. The small cage with her was solid rust.

The bird herself is badly plucked on her breast. The feathers on her rump, up to between her wings are light colored, almost white. The tail feathers are banged up, looking like barbering and poor nutrition. The bird can not fly. My overall impression of the bird is she is weak, and slightly underweight. She is missing the two back toes on both feet, with the from claws being extremely overgrown even after I clipped them. The bird can not fly, possibly from weakness and lack of exercise. The bird can not stand, her feet ball up and her legs are splayed. Old owner claimed arthritis.

Most disturbingly, her owner apparently fed her fried chicken and egg yolk.

Now I have her set up at her new owners house, in a larger round cage I scrounged up until we can order her a cage. She wanted to climb, but can't seem to so we moved everything into the bottom of the cage. She's on blank newspaper. I prepared a roudybush mash (with food coloring) some chopped carrots and a few seeds to tempt her to eat. I had to leave before I could see how that turned out, it was past dark. I had her set up in another room from her other two birds, with strict quarantine instructions!

Any advice? I want to help save this bird. She will be taken to the vet, just not this week.
How can I make the bird comfortable?
She has an old, round leg band that probably needs removed... But would the numbers off of it help ID the breeder? Is there a way to find the breeder?
It's possible I may end up with the bird, even if I don't I'll do much of the work rehabbing her.
Thank you for your time, I hope the little one makes it!

Edit: Ignore typos, I am half drunk of sleep deprivation.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
do you know the age of this grey?
warmth, 12 hours of rest, fluids, platform perches
and get this bird to vet asap

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thank you for helping her. wellness check first. Then some good food. Love. And more Love , do not put a slick surface under her since her feet and legs are comprised. But , rather a soft blanket or some towels, so she has some kind of traction. Bless you!!

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Thank you for helping her. wellness check first. Then some good food. Love. And more Love , do not put a slick surface under her since her feet and legs are comprised. But , rather a soft blanket or some towels, so she has some kind of traction. Bless you!!
She will not get her feet caught? Maybe beach towels?

do you know the age of this grey?
warmth, 12 hours of rest, fluids, platform perches
and get this bird to vet asap

Owner said she was 16. I do not honestly know, I am displeased with the condition of the bird! She's not my bird, I did convince the lady how vital a vet visit was, I explained how it could kill her birds and she couldn't have birds for a long time if she messed up. She took me seriously, she just can not take her at the moment with school starting and her work. It's not good timing. Flat perches? I can see about making a few for her. I'll do what I must!

Tuesday we will sit down and order some things, I was thinking puzzle toys, a boing and zupreem fruit blend to get the bird onto pellets.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
you can try to ID him with numbers off that band, but it may be battle also. just get the band removed and make sure you keep it as Id for the bird.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Poor baby. Thanks for helping her out.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
right now, worry about getting the bird well first. you can pad out the perches with vet wrap, it's slightly sticky and give then a chance to grip better. the other thing that might help double blanket fleece strips, under the vet wrap. it will thicken the perches better then yards of vet wrap. there was a bird at Dr. Barb's clinic that they did this for and helped Monster to grip his perches better. Monster had hunk of 2x4 for a perch, and was in sorry shape when he came from hoarder house. he lost toes from a massive infection. it took months b/4 he was able to go to new home.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
platform perches will help and lots of rest for her will be good as well. Those fleece blankets they have at Joann's for cheap are good for cushion too i am getting some of those for Gracie since she keeps falling.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Warmth is important.

There should be threads on here for handicapped set ups.

Maybe try some nutriberries (my zon's love the senior ones and I think they may have ingredients that might help).

Remember we can't go backwards, just look forward and celebrate small changes. Thanks for helping!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for helping her.

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
We will be ordering some nutriberries as well (I am a huge fan of the entire brand!). I've linked her to this thread so the owner can read this, she may or may not join. Thank you guys for your help!

The lady sent me a picture today, she's eating some of her roudybush mash (with green food coloring) some carrots, and a few sunflower seeds. Eating is a good sign!

Last edited:

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
platform perches will help and lots of rest for her will be good as well. Those fleece blankets they have at Joann's for cheap are good for cushion too i am getting some of those for Gracie since she keeps falling.
Joann's? Not familiar with it, I'm sure the Walmart lap fleeces will do though.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman

SweetAmber

Walking the driveway
Down the road when things settle I suggest a cage that is not round. Birds are not really comfortable in them because of the shape.

African Grey Parrot - African Grey Cage and Environment

I know, I hate the cage with a fiery burning passion. It's what I had, aside from one of my 32X18X18. This trades day we wil go look at cages, I have a man I can buy wholesale prices cages. I'll try and look for a shorter flight cage. Would a boring be good for her to have, or should I not encourage climbing for now? She has a low perch, her food and water are on the bottom of the cage with her.

Whatever it takes, this bird child deserves better! I am going to go split a pine branch and sand it for another perch. I have some grape vine too, but it's much thinner.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
I would think that once you see it start climbing the sides of the cage you could put in the boing but for now low is better.

parrotluv

Avenue Veteran
Well until she sees a vet, you have done a fabulous job for her. It is very important that she see a vet asap. With all that rust she could also have toxic metal, this poor girl! So glad she has been removed from this awful situation. She will need blood panels, fecal exam, and perhaps X-rays if metal is suspected. I hope she recovers from all this. Good nutrition, and clean invironment and lots of gentle loving care, she is off to a better life. Thanks for helping this bird.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Maybe a comfort perch made of that rope (varietees bird store sells them by that name) just put it down low in the cage.

Round cages are awful, one of my amazons developed issues from being in one. Secret has relapses during stressful times.

Thanks for helping this parrot....we all know the next cage will be fantastic!

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie