• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Grey has Arteriosclerosis-on meds but is chewing

Geddybird

Moving in
Hi all,
I have a grey who was chewing on her back and underneath her wing a couple of years ago. After several tests she was diagnosed with Arteriosclerosis. She has been in an out of a collar and each time healed up completely only to start chewing within days of getting out of collar. She is so depressed in the collar yet when she chews she is back at the vet and back in the collar for three to four weeks at a time and my vet bill is outrageous. She has been back and forth to vet twice a month for two years. She is on Gabapentin, Hydroxizine, and two medications to help the flow in her arteries. Can anyone suggest anything more I can do for her. She is only 12. Wondering if this is her life?

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My girl has had severe atherosclerosis for 18 years and is on similar medications to those you describe for your girl other than the hydroxyzine. Jasper is almost 26 years old and has had congestive heart disease and atherosclerosis for virtually all of her life - she has never plucked. She also has severe arthritis in both feet and ankles.

She is probably still feeling some pain/irritation from the atherosclerosis or heart issues (they go together). What has done my girl the most good for pain is that she is on Gabapentin (neural pain) and Celebrex (an NSAID given for arthritic pain and general pain). You can also ask your Dr. about giving her Garlic (I use a garlic extract that was prescribed by my vet. ) Garlic gives an immediate effect to relax the arteries and reduce high blood pressure (which also goes hand in hand with atherosclerosis.

I wish both you and your girl the very best.