• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greenwing Advice

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
remember he is in Thailand and may not be able to find some of the things that we take for granted.
and they do may small turkey basters I know that because I have one some place. I use to suck water out of my CPAP humidifier when I over fill it.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Good morning/night everyone. Thanks so much for all the helpful replies and assistance. I really appreciate it so much.

So apparently the vet did not do a proper culture because the results of whatever he did were given within minutes and there was no talk of additional results being reported.

For his feeding last night I mixed thick and then added some coconut water. I also added three small drops of ACV. I only gave 50cc of food to him for last night's feeding.

This morning the crop was still visible but much smaller than yesterday morning and I couldn't feel much of anything inside. He had gained 15g (probably a bit more since he crop wasn't completely empty yesterday morning) and now weighs 987g. I have attached some pictures from this morning.

Attachments

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Vader is cutie pie. were you able to read thru the parrot university page and did it help you with some ideas of how to hand feed the li'l guy? I know the first time I did it, it was real hard but I learned quickly to follow their movements for how fast or slow they wanted to eat. remember the first few times are the worst after that you get the hang of it.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Vader is cutie pie. were you able to read thru the parrot university page and did it help you with some ideas of how to hand feed the li'l guy? I know the first time I did it, it was real hard but I learned quickly to follow their movements for how fast or slow they wanted to eat. remember the first few times are the worst after that you get the hang of it.
I tried replying to your message but it said my response was too long..

Super helpful and reassuring, yes. I really appreciate you asking him and him replying. I am really happy to hear his opinion on the bacteria.

I had read the parrot university page before to check the poop info but had never seen the handfeeding part. I do plan on attempting the syringe only method today (we do have the correct syringes here). I am quite nervous as I have never tried it before.

I disinfect the makeshift brooder every day. There are newspapers below the plastic grate that I also change daily. I keep a towel on the side for comfort and additional warmth. It gets changed every other day unless it is dirty.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
he is great guy and since he started working at my cousin clinic, they have more bird work then they can handle. he said the first few times are messy so you know that a head of time. I am fortunate to be able to help out there a couple times a month. so I have learned a great deal from just being there. the clinic has separate area just for birdie clients and that way they are away from the animals that would consider them prey. Dr. Tony was very upset that they sold birds that young in Thailand, he said it asking for troubles being sold so little. My cousin who is a vet also does work with birds but she prefers things that bark and meow more. I saw that you have other birds: B&G and a toucan so you understand what to watch for. and that is helpful for Vader.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I do plan on attempting the syringe only method today (we do have the correct syringes here). I am quite nervous as I have never tried it before.

Just watch a few videos paying close attention to the hand not holding the syringe. Use that hand as a brace so he does not jump to far up onto the syringe. Let him bump up into the palm of your hand. The pumping action is how they swallow. You can touch the sides of his upper beak to get him to start pumping. Squeeze the syringe at an even flow and stop when he stops.

I'd trust handfeeding him this way more than the tube feeding. Just take a breath.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Okay so no more tube! Had a very successful lunch and dinner without the tube. Thanks for the encouragement.

Now, his droppings still look fine and he still has a great feeding response, but I'm slightly concerned about a slow crop. It did not shrink too much between the 1pm and 7pm feeding. The breeder said sometimes GW take longer to digest food. I have never heard this and I'm not sure if she's being shady or not. A few questions:

1. If it isn't completely empty in the morning (after 12 hours) should I just wait until it is completely empty or continue with a reduced or normal morning feeding?

2. At what point would you start the antibiotics? And/or go back to the vet?

3. He makes some funny noises after eating. Almost like a chirp. I don't remember if my BG did this or not. Is it normal to chirp a little after feeding as they drift to sleep?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Check the temp of your formula, it's often a cause for slow crop. Feed at about 105 degrees. Check the thickness of your formula, try a feeding with a little more water. Make sure your little one is staying warm enough.

Crop Emptying Problems - Slow Crop / Sour Crop

Babies are noisy, my littles were always making sounds, still do in fact.

How much and how often are you feeding now? What's the temp and the consistency? Did you allow him overnight to empty out his crop?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
How much and how often are you feeding now? What's the temp and the consistency? Did you allow him overnight to empty out his crop?
Yesterday and today I fed 100cc at 7am. 75cc at 1pm and 50cc at 7pm

Temp of food is 104, consistency like applesauce.

Temp of his makeshift brooder is 82-89 depending on which side he's on.

He had 12 hours to empty his crop last night and there was a small bulge there this morning (about the size of my thumb). It was an improvement from the previous morning, but it seems slow again today. Hopefully better in the morning.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Could you have fed him 100cc at every feeding? Would he have eaten it?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
If this were me I would give the same amount per feeding. According to his weight I would do 90CC per feeding.

I would add a small amount more of water until you know his crop is moving well. For the last feeding of the day I would add a few drops of ACV or papaya to his formula.

Is he gaining daily? Have you considered a forth feeding? If he were emptying better I would recommend a forth. How does his breath smell, do you smell any yeast?

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Is he gaining daily? Have you considered a forth feeding? If he were emptying better I would recommend a forth. How does his breath smell, do you smell any yeast?
Yes, he has gained between 20 and 50g each day I've weighed him.

Had planned on a fourth feeding but didn't want to over feed of his crop isn't empty. Breath smells like formula.

I did mix some papaya and ACV in his lunch feeding today. I'll do it again tomorrow of things aren't better.

At what point should I take him back to the vet?

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He should empty his crop overnight. If that does not start happening you could return to the vet. He does not sound sick to me. Maybe a little bit slow which could turn sick if we don't get it turned around.

The vet may yell for not putting him on meds. :laugh:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The vet can just yell and prescribe some Metaclopromide for moving the food through instead of an antibiotic that may let a fungal infection get started. The painkiller, if you are giving it, could make him feel dopey (very technical medical term) and be suppressing his appetite.

He's gaining every day. Keep up the papaya. It a natural laxative. The ACV is very acidic and will suppress any minor fungal growth, but not do anything for bacterial growth.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'd ask the vet if he saw gram negative bacteria present.

I know you have had a previous experience that has you worried. In a few days you could redo a gram stain with he vet. Check his fecal for the presence of gram negative bacteria and budding yeast. If either are positive then you could do a culture or treat him broad spectrum. Baytril would be best in that instance.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
YAY, no more tube, I'll let Dr. Tony know.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
I don't see where you've mentioned the texture of the left-over in his crop - is it harder than it should be? Some water coupled with some gentle massage could help break it up, if that's the case.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I don't see where you've mentioned the texture of the left-over in his crop - is it harder than it should be? Some water coupled with some gentle massage could help break it up, if that's the case.
Feels very soft.